NEED HELP ASAP. Anyone replaced their front half shafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Oval

Reaction score
Having an issue with installing a new half shaft. I guided the splined end into the transmission, I felt the snap ring catch but it doesnt go in all the way and it wont come back out.

I basically manhandled the old one out since the boot is about to tear, Im not worried about treating it gently. I dont want to be damaging stuff on the new one if Im too rough.

There is about 1" of play and some slop like I can wiggle the inner housing. Do I just need to force it in for the snap ring to go in further?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can kinda beat them in with the u joint but don't beat them
Out with the u joint. If you apply outward pressure on the axle then hit the cup with a dead blow or rubber hammer it should come out. There's nothing in there holding that in except that snap ring and other then the u joint not much you can damage unless the c-clip breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Black Oval

Black Oval

Reaction score
Disaster post poned... I guess. The dumbsh;ts at O'reilly ordered me the wrong shafts. After getting them out and laying them side by side I couldnt even compress the old ones to the extended length of the new ones. I put the old one back in for now until I can find correct replacements.

Went ahead and moved to the top perch while I had the front ripped apart. That in itself was a PITA! But its all ready for the 37s sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted and for my other 2 wheels to show up (UPS lost 2 of them) Always something....