What winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What winch would work well for the raptor, I'm set on the sdhq hidden mount. Just not sure on what winch I need one that is waterproof and one that works in extreme cold.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
98Infinity,
The usual off road advice is to have a winch that is capable of pulling 1 1/2 times the weight of your vehicle; as such the minimum for a Raptor should be 9,000 pound pull. Remember that the greatest pulling capacity is on the first layer on the drum. Each successive layer of cable diminishes the pulling capacity.
Using blocks, (pulleys), correctly you can double the abilities of the winch...but halve the speed of recovery.
If your budget allows go for the synthetic, (Dyneme, etc), winch line.
Fourwheeler magazine did a winch shoot out a few years ago and the Smitty built and a couple of harbor freight type winches beat out Warn, Ramsey, etc.
Shop wisely!
Eddie

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lever Hoist

As an alternative to consider for self recovery, I bought a new 3 Ton Harrington Manual Lever Hoist for $275 a few years back.

Harrington Hoists and Cranes - Manual Hoists

Figured it would give me more options to pull from front or rear. I have several pulley blocks, extra cable, tree straps, and tow straps to extend the reach and recovery angle of attack as well.

It will be slow going using this approach, but in case something happened that disabled the winch or prevented its use, wanted something independent, simple, and flexible to move around.

I didn't want to have the added weight and load of a winch on the front end either.

Food for thought anyway.

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
Wow @98infinity, look at that. What a quick search can find. Look at the red bar towards the top, 3rd one from the end, it does wonders.

Wow everyone is so helpful around here thanks...

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

I'm interested in smittybult x20 10k. Anyone have one?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow everyone is so helpful around here thanks...

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

I'm interested in smittybult x20 10k. Anyone have one?

Spend the extra and get the 12k with synthetic line, that's what I have and a bunch of others in the chicago area have. Contact Roger @RSiWORKS for a great deal on it.