Gentlemen we can rebuild it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor Run / Expedition Effect:

I'm beginning to think the guys at ADD, ICON, Outlaw, RPG, SDHQ, TMX, WSI, etc have figured out the best way to get us to realize we need their awesome stuff is to encourage us to get out and push our trucks to the limit on an expedition/run. Ve haf vays of making you mod!

What has happened to you on your adventures that convinced you to upgrade? Why did you go with the choice you made? How has it changed your ride? Definitely a steep learning curve here, and there are getting to be alot of choices out there - lucky for us!

As for me, I was fortunate enough to get a last-minute work reprieve so I could make it to the 1st annual Texas Raptor Run. In "A" class I ran my stock "new to me" lightly-driven 2010 6.2L SCab plus a last-minute DIY $100 SDHQ frame reinforcement kit (although not a definitive solution, it actually did it's job pretty well & very glad I had it - never would have guessed just how brutal it would be jumping around that rocky hill country baja track at Texana ranch).

Result:

1) I shredded new BFG's
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344483384.722255.jpg
2) Knocked my right front wheel out at a severe angle after landing hard on it - had to drive home that way, but amazingly it still drove straight like nothing had happened! (with the stock leafs at speed, I wheel-hopped badly all the way around that course)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344484330.415081.jpg
Turns out it was the camber adjustment bolt on the lower control arm that got knocked loose.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344484380.970087.jpg
3) Drug my exhaust back home after hanging it up somewhat with a coat hanger. (Note the dangling trailer electrical connections with the missing flip-lid face plate)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344484702.701074.jpg
4) Blown left rear shock and bent leaf spring - making truck lean that direction & fooling me into thinking I had bent the frame there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344485212.948689.jpg
5) Bashed in the skid plate (as did everyone running low perch - a lot of my woes could have been prevented by being on mid perch setting)
6) Had to keep stopping to check if Airaid filter had fallen off after particularly nasty butt-pucker impacts
7) Stock seat belts kept over-tightening with each jarring impact - cinching up until could hardly breathe - had to keep unbuckling at inopportune times to readjust (surely there is a mod/solution to this - 5 pt harness?)

During this torture-test I beat the living shit out of this truck (didn't set out to do this intentionally, but had the time of my life doing it!). It took all I gave it and asked for more... it even drove like a dream all the way home after all I had put it through. This is one tough truck! But I pretty quickly realized during this run that some mods were in order if I plan on doing much of this (and now that I'm addicted, well...)

The good news is that thanks to all the early trailblazers there are a ton of great mods that address these issues - and I (like most of you) have been very busy checking out our awesome vendors. This forum has been great for getting ideas and my truck is still a work in progress so any input is greatly appreciated. Pics to follow...

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
No question you drove the hell out of that thing. What are.you doing for the rebuild?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
MotuMute

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Smashed skid plate was my only large damage. Tires were fine, still have them on in fact, 42k miles.

Yeah, I realize now why it was the left rear tire that had the huge in-line gashes in the tread. With the blown shock it was from bottoming out against that metal ridge inside the wheel well. Which perch setting were you on?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Hey don't be kidnapping my rebuild slogan.

LPR 2.0 "Better, Stronger, Faster"

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/i-decided-do-rpg-stage-ross-15254/

That entire quote is so perfect minus the "bionic" part lol. What is the "ross" reference?

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I realize now why it was the left rear tire that had the huge in-line gashes in the tread. With the blown shock it was from bottoming out against that metal ridge inside the wheel well. Which perch setting were you on?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

That entire quote is so perfect minus the "bionic" part lol. What is the "ross" reference?

It's my last name. RPG did that part.

I'm with LPR 2.0 "Better, Stronger, Faster"

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool. So they added "ROSS" to the RPG sticker on their kit?

I pretty sure there won't be too many people who are willing to sell their wives entire shoe and purse collection to get this stage done to their truck.

However, that would be cool.