Need Trade Advice!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fish_scales

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13' Raptor is arriving at my dealer this evening and I will be probably going there tomorrow to pick it up.

The question I have is about my trade value, I went to my dealer this past weekend to get an appraisal as I knew my vehicle would be arriving this week.
They gave me a lower than expected trade, which I realize is typical. Nada, KBB, Edmunds all have my trade-in value about 35-39k (pending condition) but the dealer has offered me 33.5k which they stated they do not use the online sources and that they use auction website prices.

Is this correct that they use what the vehicle sells for at auctions when they appraise a vehicle for trade?

My trade is in excellent condition, as I take very good care of my vehicles so I was expecting somewhere around 37-38k, so 33.5 is way off for me.
I'm sure if I ride by next week my trade-in will be on the lot for 42k+

Also, I ordered my Raptor for $400 over invoice.

Any advice???

Last edited:

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you trading? Another Raptor? Not that it helps with the raw numbers, but keep in mind that you will not pay tax on the amount of your trade. So if your thinking it would be better to sell Private Party for $37K, keep in mind with the tax "savings" of trading in, your getting ~$36K effectively. To me not worth messing with Private Party, given the difference.

Honestly, they are not making a killing on the truck your buying, so what they give you on trade will be 100% dependent on how bad they want to sell you a new truck. There is no rhyme or reason or online value that is going to change that.

For example with me, my dealer didn't want to get to my comfort level on the sell price of my Raptor and the trade-in of my Denali the first two times we talked. BUT as soon as their sister dealership had a buyer for the Raptor I was looking at and they were going to be forced to take a dealer trade on a Taurus... all of a sudden they were willing to get to where I wanted to be.

-Josh

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AHHH the eventual trade, lol.... You ordered this truck you should have taken your truck to market to see what you could get for it. The dealer has to protect themselves and make sure they are not buying junk. At auction trade ins that are junk go to be sold or for dealers to get the cash now instead of waiting to sell. I have on one occassion made a deal with the dealer and said put mine for sale on your lot, I make the payments in the mean time and they have a bigger market to sell to then I do and can do financing....

They sold my truck and made 2,000 on the sale and then paid of my note, any short fall and I would make up the difference.

Instant gratification comes with a price if you want the dealer to take all the risk he wont be around long, so you get offered less than blue book etc... He takes a risk your trade in wont sell for market lets face it if he sells you a truck for 400 over invoice, why would he buy it for more than that?

Let the dealer make some money some where or sell it yourself and the dealer makes 400.00 cash off you and then takes no risk....

The upside look at the instant awsomeness of driving a new Raptor!!!!!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is also the black book that some dealers go off of. basically its the value a dealer would pay for your vehicle. after paying their mechanic to go over the vehicle and get it to the condition they want it, it adds up to $$$$ and then they still need to sell for profit.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take it to Car Max and sell it. The easiest thing to do. They may give you more, only takes a few minutes to find out.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When my brother was trading in his Challenger for a new truck they were only offering him $37000.00 which was less than he owed on it. So I shopped his trade around to different dealers and we got $42000.00 trade toward same truck with more options and a lower price.

OP
OP
F

fish_scales

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks
i went ahead and pulled the trigger.
the raptor is sitting in driveway as of this evening, i'm already over not getting what i wanted for my trade.
amazing what impact this truck has! LOL!