Torn '14 SE vs '17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as the OP, but I own both a 14' Raptor and a 12' 3.5L Eco boost.
Personally I wish the Raptor had the Eco. I love the quite ride, the drone of the Raptor engine/exhaust gets old and I am seriously thinking about sound lining it. Also the Eco with a tune is impressive, haven't tuned the Raptor yet, but both trucks are basically stock. Driving around in the Eco with the windows down is definitely more of a pleasure than the Raptor, even with the windows up the Raptor is just loud...
For just get up and go off the start the Eco has it, even stock.

The other thing though is it seems far too many companies miss their release dates, so I don't think I am going to wait too much, do the simpler mods and hold off on the more expensive ones until more is firmed up with the 17'. I am liking the idea though of surround cameras, extra storage, auto tailgate locks, rear camera further up for less debris and the quiet yet powerful engine....hopefully Ford though

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little late to the game on this. But I agree with the other guys. Never buy a first run of a new motor or redesign. Too many potential issues. I am just not sold on the v6 either. Ok, so it is more "refined". I don't want refined, I want a big, loud muscle motor. Keeping my 13 till the wheels fall off. Got way too much in it to sell it. I will buy the new raptor after a few years of proven track record. Maybe 19. Fun to upgrade and mod a turbo!

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never buy a first run of a new motor or redesign. Too many potential issues. I am just not sold on the v6 either. Ok, so it is more "refined".

To be honest I am not quite sure how refined it will be short of the transmission. Guys have been tuning the 3.5L Eco since 2011/2012. I really suspect while they may do some refining it'll be pretty minor on the motor, likely better tuning. Also looking at things it looks like the 2015-2016 F150's will be the base platform to work out many of the 'kinks'....along with the previous Raptor data, so with that said I am less worried about this 'new' model...

Again if you haven't driven a 3.5L Eco...you should, especially a tuned one. I bet it surprises you much more than you would think. I will give it this though when you stomp on the gas you don't get that growl like you do from a V8, but guys are putting on different exhaust which claim to really help deepen and give a better sound as I admit, the pppfffffttt sound doesn't sound 'strong', but the performance is there.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They advertise that the 3.5l Eco in the new raptor is a completely redesigned motor, not a tweak of the current motor.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have one of most desirable Raptors out there, other than Terrain :), keep that bad jimmy and see how good the new baby Raptor is then decide.

If you went for it now, sold your Rig, you might regret it. Be PATIENT!

kscarguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep it, prices for our raptors will hold value. since the new ones will continue to increase in price

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what little I've read, I believe the new Raptor Ecoboost has more in common with the new Ford GT engine than it does with the F-150 Ecoboost. It's both port and direct injected so it shouldn't share the long term issue of carbon fouling on the valves. I'm waiting to see how the reliability of the new engine architecture holds up on the next Le Mans 24hr race. That and hopefully they get the transmission tuning well sorted. I remember when they first launched the 6-speed transmission and it had issues with gear hunting...with only six gears vs. the new ten-speed. I think it'll be a good powertrain. Really curious to see how it sounds in the truck as the idle videos of the GT sound pretty mean. Personally, I plan to supercharge my 2011 and simply continue to throw money at it so that it'll demolish a stock or even lightly modded 2017. Fuel economy be damned. Maybe just get a Focus RS to handle the mpg.

Last edited: