Rear defroster not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered if it was "dirt" or whatever preventing the contacts from making a closed circuit. I cleaned the lower part that has the cable attached (runs to the passenger side) with alcohol and swabs. Still not working. Can anyone tell me if the contact is on the bottom or top. It was quite dirty in the channel at the bottom before I cleaned it out.

Master Yoda

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed my rear defroster light wasn't coming on today and after reading this thread I decided to try to clean out the bottom of the track. And all I had was some brake cleaner and just sprayed that in each corner of the bottom track and now it is working. Just an idea if someone else has this problem.

FordServiceCA

Ford Professional
Reaction score
My rear defrost quit working, took it to the dealership and they are replacing the back window under warranty.

Hi scarrjack,

Thank you for sharing the experience. :) I am happy that the dealer is resolving your issue. Please reach out to me for future questions and/or concerns.

Kwasi

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FordServiceCA I could use some help... I know this is a old thread but my rear defroster quit working on me. I have a 2012 that I bought new and I purchased a Premium extended warranty. My truck has 40,000 miles on it now even though its only 2 1/12 years old.
I took my truck into the dealer to have the rear window defroster looked at and the dealer told me its not covered under Ford warranty or my extended warranty. They charged me $99.63 for a diagnostic and then told me that the rear "Center" windows needed to be replaced. They want to charge me $582 to replace the rear center window.
I was so Furious over this. I called Ford customer Service to complain and they did not help me at all.
I tried spraying Brakleen because i know some have had luck doing this but it did not help me..
Am I really SOL?
WIN_20141115_142227.jpg

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...They charged me $99.63 for a diagnostic and then told me that the rear "Center" windows needed to be replaced. They want to charge me $582 to replace the rear center window...

Hi ittybittyfds,

FordServiceCA is our Canadian rep; I help out folks from the United States. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll be happy to look into this further to see what can be done to assist. :)

Crystal

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt your pain! I guess a truck designed for Baja should have never been fitted with a defroster:)
Same issue here and when the dealer saw that the indicator on the control was not lighting, they said it was serious and may not be able to be under warrantee as they had seen it turned down in the past.

Being a tinkerer, I took the "cant be fixed" opinion and fixed that sh@&.

One important thing to realize that I found while debugging:
*My Defroster does not work unless the engine is running. Having the key on does not allow activation of the switch.
Things you need
•Good Contact Cleaner (Paid $10 for one at Radio Shack). It should be for electronics and it will gently dissolve grease and mild corrosion without damage to the contact points or melting/staining any plastics or film coating.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58670&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1419020390

•Compressed air and nozzle at least 100 PSI

•The ability to lower the back rest of your back seat (in super crew cab) see Squatting Dog's post http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f10/rear-seats-17576/

1.Once the seat back is down (which a super cool thing to have anyway) open the slider about 2-3 inches

2.Find the contact points where the sliding portion makes the connection when the window is closed. You should be able to see them through the glass.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58669&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1419020390
3.Jam that air nozzle in the edge of the open glass and blow all the dust, dirt and crap out of channel and off the contact points

4.Now use the contact cleaner. If it came with the little red nozzle extender, put it on and shimmy it in between the open part of the windows and spray the contact points a couple times.

5.Let the solvent do its thing for a couple minutes. It will dissolve any surface corrosion, oil film or grease that is on the contacts.

6.Blast it again with compressed air to blow out whatever it had dissolved

7.Repeat steps 4,5 and 6 one or more times

8.Open and close the window a couple times to get the new clean contact points to seat

With the engine running, turn on the switch.
If it was just dirt and crud on the contact points, the selector should light up and your defrost should work.

Attachments

• Window contact points.jpg
    Window contact points.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Contact Cleaner.jpg
    Contact Cleaner.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86