Increasign load capacity, recommend an enclosed trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpe187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Increasing load capacity, recommend an enclosed trailer

Enclosed Trailer and Towing with a Ford Raptor

I am looking at purchasing a new enclosed trailer. The tow vehicle with be a 2013 Ford F150 Raptor Crew Cab. I’m tracking 1030 max payload and 8K lb towing capacity for the Raptor.

Purpose: I will only use the trailer once or twice every 2-3 years for movement about 1200 miles. In the interim it will be used for storage. Right now my plan is to tow a 1983 Jeep CJ7 (Wt about 3Klbs) and about 2Klbs for tools and equipment.

For the above criteria I think I’m looking at either 18’ or 20’ft trailer with dual 5200lb axles but I’m still researching brands, options etc.

Questions:
What are my options for temporarily increasing payload capacity? New springs, helper springs, air bags…? I’m ok with changing the springs just to tow since it will only be about every three years.

What are the brands/options I should look at for the trailer? Wood or Aluminum floor, angle/flat front, thicker/thinner aluminum walls, Torsion or spring axles, etc. I have towed U-haul trailers up to 1500 miles in the past and did not have any issues but have never towed anything with brakes. I do have the brake controller option for the Raptor.

What other equipment should I look at – Drop hitch, Weight distribution hitch, fold down jack legs etc.?

I have looked at some of the other towing threads and they have definitely informed some of the above. Just taking another opportunity to ping the forum and see what lessons others have learned before committing to anything. Thanks for all feedback

Last edited:

SVTRaptorNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert but you could invest in progressive leafs to raise your rear end a bit for the added weight.

Also I've seen some mention of people using 4" hydraulic bump stops to help with towing.

Anyways good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coder

Reaction score
Technically and legally there is nothing you can do to increase a vehicle's load carrying capacity, you can only help it carry the same load with more stability. The reason being is there are multiple factors (springs, frame, brakes, tires, axles, transmission type, etc.) that go into the load carrying calculation and you just can't changes a few things and increase the capacity it's a package deal.

grabs10

Reaction score
I put on a roadmaster active suspension. If your hardcore offroad it prolly isn't the best option but it takes care of squat and makes them pull nice. Pulling 1200 miles, yes a load dist. Hitch is a must. I cranked my roadmaster up and did some landscaping this week building a pad for my travel trailer.

On my last load I decide to go across the scale and I was surprised how hard I was taxing my raptor suspension.

Oops!!! Should have Made a few more trips with a lighter loads. Way to much for my raptor. Lucky I was only pulling through town and didn't break anything. Here is my scale ticket from a truck stop. Surprised I didn't break anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 55