GEN 1 GEN 1 - Running Board Fading Spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I searched for something on this subject and couldn't find any info. Seems like I saw something on it once, but can't find it now.

Anyhow - I've got a few spots, maybe silver dollar size, that are lighter than than the surrounding color. Almost looks like moisture has somehow got under the outer finish of the running board. Just on the passenger side, too.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

I could take them off and get them Line-X'd but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and if there is a fix for it first.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have some spots but much larger towards the front of my running boards, some vrt made them much less noticeable.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I have water stains on the front and at the area below the seam for where the scab doors meet. Looking for a solution as well. I have put tire shine on there before and while that works it is slippery as hell, so not recommended.

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I re-did mine when I first got the truck... the ford stuff was always slippery and grey.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I regularly use Adams In&Out Spray on them so I haven't noticed anything. They do stay looking good but hopefully I'm not masking a problem.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I have water stains on the front and at the area below the seam for where the scab doors meet. Looking for a solution as well. I have put tire shine on there before and while that works it is slippery as hell, so not recommended.

Can second the slippery comment, did mine and fell out the truck immediately afterwards!

OP
OP
2014RubyRed

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've kept them clean. Used everything from VRT to In & Out Spray on them. They looked good for a long time. Washed it earlier this week and the spots were visible. Not the end of the world and you have to look real close to see them, but my OCD makes me think about them about every 10 minutes or so.......lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've kept them clean. Used everything from VRT to In & Out Spray on them. They looked good for a long time. Washed it earlier this week and the spots were visible. Not the end of the world and you have to look real close to see them, but my OCD makes me think about them about every 10 minutes or so.......lol
They will get a lot worse, up here we get a lot of acid rain from all the pollutants coming from the USA refinerys, lol

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No spots but I have small slivers of the coating peeling off on the underside probably from rocks. Can't imagine Ford put any quality material on the boards to begin with so it is what it is