Fire Extinguishers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, looking for some input here concerning fire extinguishers...

I will be mounting a couple on my truck, probably in the bed, and just curious as to which type...CO2 or Dry Chemical?

I have both kinds and was thinking that CO2 would be better for the following reasons;

CO2 is more effective at cooling a source of fire and, in the unfortunate event of having to use it, there would be less damage to critical components than there would be with dry chemical (aside from the obvious damage that the fire itself is doing).

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure about this but I dont think C02 extinguishers are "ABC" type extinguishers. But I think dry chem are "ABC" so they are a little more versatile. But you are right about the mess the dry chems make that powder gets everywhere.

D

Deleted member 12951

What size do you carry?

HG100C in the cab and HG250R in the bed. I want to get a HG500R to put in the bed and move the HG250R outside to my light rack. But in reality would want to spend what the MaxOut ones cost...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Aramco Raptor

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure about this but I dont think C02 extinguishers are "ABC" type extinguishers. But I think dry chem are "ABC" so they are a little more versatile. But you are right about the mess the dry chems make that powder gets everywhere.

Chances are a fire in a vehicle would be B and C class fires (flammable liquids and electrical)...that's why I am leaning towards CO2.

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my Halguard mounted in the cab...

PICT0060_zps23bc323d.jpg

I had a CO2 extinguisher which I have upgraded. I feel much moor secure if anything should go wrong. By the way the CO2 extinguisher is mounted in my tool box...

The old CO2 extinguisher in the cab...

PICT0041_zps06595f51.jpg

aschaeferusn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are a fire in a vehicle would be B and C class fires (flammable liquids and electrical)...that's why I am leaning towards CO2.

CO2 is a terrible extinguishing agent for anything but a Class C fire. For safety's sake, I'd stick with an ABC rated chemical extinguisher, or at least have the option for both.

Quick edit: If your electrical fire goes long enough, it'll turn into a B or A (depending on what else catches in the truck)...either way, probably wise to stick with a chemical extinguisher.

Edit2: And CO2 is NOT a cooling agent! I don't know why you said it's "more effective at cooling a fire", maybe because anything's more effective at cooling a fire than chemical agent, but the way CO2 extinguishes is by displacing oxygen. A class A or B fire will be likely to relight if you don't keep the fire covered in CO2. The chemical inhibits the chemical reaction of a fire, so the chance of relight is low.

Last edited: