40k Mile Suspension Checkup: binding, a blown shock, and a bent frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here we go.... Who's making the popcorn
Haha... I've got mine already!

No need for drama... It's a difference of opinion and people will argue until the end of time about it! Point is, it can happen to all types of drivers, so the question about where that magic threshold for damage lies is the REAL debate.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everybody so afraid to say Ford could improve their design? It's clear they can, and should. A bump stop kit has fixed this issue 100%, and a design like that should be incorporated from the factory. No drama, no blame game, just an IMPROVED design where it's needed.

People see threads like this, from a guy that wasn't going 100+ on a Raptor run and what does that tell them? It tells them it could happen to anybody, even the average driver having good safe fun off road, with an occasional "oh crap" moment that most of us have had.

BigJ, are you going to have it straightened and reinforced before adding the bump stop kit? I was worried after the bending starts, that it only gets easier from there once the metal is weakened.

The reason I say it doesnt need to be changed is because I have as many miles on my truck, I have filled my bed with my 800 2up canam with the plow and ramps and tools and my ******(300lbs) driving 3 times, and I have towed my 24ft enclosed trailer filled 3 of the 4 times from Va to upper Mi and back and have been over loaded and my frame, my shocks and my half shafts are fine. I still am using the original tires, brakes and have many more left on both...

My reading this thread I would think wow he was driving with a blown shock and didnt know it??? Hmm, no wonder the frame is tweaked a bit...

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Only time will tell Blue,
I think it was such an easy write off as over driving the first go-round was because it was discovered after a Raptor Run. I think BigJ isn't the only one with a bent/slightly bent frame. He is just the first one brave enough to actually check.

Honestly the binding scares me A LOT more than the frame bending. Especially since JP7 is completely stock and is still having issues.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is everybody so afraid to say Ford could improve their design?
I'm not sure who you're talking too, but there's no fear here. I have nothing to gain by my comments, nor do I have anything to lose. These are my observations and opinions, and I stand behind them 100%. You may agree, or you may disagree, but please don't disrespect by claiming their biased by fear or in any other way.

A bump stop kit has fixed this issue 100%, and a design like that should be incorporated from the factory.
Have you run the DOT required safety tests on your kit? Did the test vehicle's frame crumple as DOT spec's demand?

Indeed, the kits may solve one issue. But if not carefully designed, they may also cause another. Lets not pretend this issue is as simple as our egos might like them to be.

People see threads like this, from a guy that wasn't going 100+ on a Raptor run and what does that tell them? It tells them it could happen to anybody, even the average driver having good safe fun off road, with an occasional "oh crap" moment that most of us have had.
And that's exactly why I posted it.

Its very easy to point at videos like we've all seen, and (very rightly, IMHO) blame the driver for the damage caused. But I have no video I can point at to blame myself. There's nothing so obviously wrong that I did... so I have to take a step back and really think about how I've driven my Raptor. I load it up, and I take it out. I've never weighed it when fully loaded, but if I think about the individual stuff I throw in there before a trip or during the course of work, I start to realize, that's a lot of weight! And then I think about how I am NOT a perfect driver, and that there have been a handful of 'puckered' moments... I try very hard to take responsibility for my actions, and so I have to conclude this was MY fault. You may agree or you may disagree, but for me that's the end of the story.

BigJ, are you going to have it straightened and reinforced before adding the bump stop kit? I was worried after the bending starts, that it only gets easier from there once the metal is weakened.
I'm going to do a full writeup on RPG's solution, and that will answer your questions in detail. But just real quick, RPG's kit actually brings your frame back in line if it wasn't more than an inch or so out to begin with. I've got a picture that clearly shows this I'll throw up soon, but that daylight is gone after install, and the bed to cab gap passes the finger test with flying colors.

More on that to come soon though.

Last edited:

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kudos for documenting all your work for us. Looks like I'll be in the market for a frame reinforcement solution to cope with the mean streets of Santa Clara County. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I am not sure how I feel about being included in the "payload" when talking about the trucks capacity. lol (I had to tease).
Perhaps BigJ meant Betsy ... :ROFLJest:

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My reading this thread I would think wow he was driving with a blown shock and didnt know it??? Hmm, no wonder the frame is tweaked a bit...
That's a valid point. Maybe I'm not in tune with my truck as I like to think.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Perhaps BigJ meant Betsy ... :ROFLJest:

I'll go with that Ruff! lol
Uh right of course, that's EXACTLY what I was talkin 'bout. Yeah that's the ticket! :peace:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i would have to imagine your blown shock played a huge role in your frame bending. i know that seems too obvious and it's probably already been said but i would blame that first before scratching your head and blaming yourself.

sandygar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the general feeling that a bump stop kit will eliminate the frame bending issue? I have an Outlaw Raptor bump stop kit and Deevers waiting for the arrival of my truck.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up BigJ. I think inspecting the suspension on these trucks is something over looked by some owners. Imo 40k was WAY over due. I check mine once a month and usually before and after every off road trip. I know most people may not understand what they're looking at when under thier truck, but there's only one way to learn. By getting under there and asking questions/loading pictures on frf of questionable things, with the help of others someone could reach a pretty good understanding of what they're looking at in short time.

Im not surprised with the issues shown with your spacer kit. I know I've tried to stress the problems they create before, but I guess sometimes seeing is believing. Luckily nothing failed while the truck was moving (like an upper ball joint), that would of been bad! Are you planning on replacing the arms with aftetmarket ones, or replacing with stock ball joints? Imo it wouldn't be a bad time to go aftermarket.

Bet your truck feels like a different animal once everythings fixed!