4x4 vs 2x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you do daily driving on 2x4 and only 4x4 when on off road or conditions are bad or do you run 4x4 all the time? Is there difference in gas mileage?

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only use 4x4 when off road or snow/icy conditions. Otherwise you will damage it and cause a bit more wear to the front tires from "pushing" them when trying to make tight turns.

D

Deleted member 12951

4x2 always and 4x4 only when needed. And yes 4x4 will obtain lower MPG.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you do daily driving on 2x4 and only 4x4 when on off road or conditions are bad or do you run 4x4 all the time? Is there difference in gas mileage?

You will be able to push through just about anything in 2x4 with those 37's ;)

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only use 4x4 when the conditions allow for some "slippage"...same for the locking rear end...if not...you're gonna chew stuff up in a hurry.

Owner's Manual is pretty clear also...

Attachments

• 4x4 Mode.jpg
    4x4 Mode.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 134
  • ELD Mode.jpg
    ELD Mode.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think @W1N, you are confusing ALL wheels drive with 4 wheel drive. I think I have heard rumors that the '17 raptor will have an ALL wheel drive setting which automatically detects when 4WD is needed and will kick that in for you. My uncle has had it in his Denali's for years but he says he doesn't use it much because he thinks it has an effect on gas mileage. Not sure how significant. He tows a boat a lot and I think likes to turn it on then for loading and unloading. I personally don't think this is a huge feature for me, but then again, I live in California.

OP
OP
W1N

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LekRap no I'm not. I have Range Rover and it is full-time 4wd and I have Porsche and it is full-time 4wd as well. Then there are all wheel drive cars that are sold with image of 4wd cars, but are 4wd only when ever the car computer decides it needs to be 4wd (for me they are not 4wd vehicles). If Raptor would be all wheel drive vehicle I would not be here on this forum nor buying one. I like to drive 4wd cars even when dry and warm. They are more stable when accelerating and faster off the lights. But like I asked probably more hungry for gas. Just wanted to know if people here were on 4wd all the time. When I had H2 and was on 4wd all the time. I don't even recall it having 2wd option if it did.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say @W1N is that the few times that I have forgotten to take 4WD off after messing around in the dirt and have gone on the road, the ride was significantly affected and the last thing I would want to do is drive in 4WD when not needed. Turns are sigficantly stiffer and harsher and I can't imagine anyone preferring that. I have to imagine this is why All Wheel Drive or full time 4WD or whatever you want to call it...was invented. It is because on the road, 2WD is obviously the better way to go and only when needed, 4WD can be kicked on and utilized. I've honestly never heard of someone wanting to drive in 4WD all the time. Good Luck to you. Enjoy your many many nice cars! Congrats on that!

OP
OP
W1N

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LekRap I think you're right about driving constantly 4wd, I will sure not to the either. It is extremely valuable to to get insight from many people, and not to mess things up.

Maybe the philosophy of 4wd is different with different vehicles. Audis, Porsches Range Rovers (mostly) have full-time 4wd so I don't think it is about generically about 4wd but more of so why the 4wd exists in that car for. For trucks it is so much different than sports cars.