Transmission heating up quickly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys its time I bring this problem to the FRF. I have a 2011 SCREW no tune and for awhile now I haven't been able to take my truck out to play without the trans going from 195 to 246 and climbing in about 8min. During normal freeway driving the trans will stay at 195-197 even if I decide to get on it a couple times. During normal city driving it will stay around 195-201 and occasionally climb to 204-208.

I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this problem and they have flushed the system, checked the cooler, checked the thermostat, checked the torque converter, and checked all the lines and all is functioning as it should. I have also taken the service manager on a road test to show home what it's doing. He agreed that it shouldn't be rising that quick and that it could just be the size of the cooler. If its the size of the cooler then why is it only happening to me? I had Evilmonkey ride with me to see if its my driving style and he said not a chance as he pushes his just as hard if not harder and has never had a problem. I also contacted Wiz and he is now convinced that something is binding causing excess heat buildup during extreme conditions but when I am driving normally I am getting enough air flow and fluid flow to keep the trans cool.

Please please please HELP!!!

-Ben

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But climbing to 246+ in 8min is a little excessive don't you think? Also it does this wether its in 4hi or 2hi, Offroad mode on or off.

Last edited:

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not only happening to you. When you get after it offroad the tranny gets hot.

What kind of temps are you seeing? What's everyone else seeing? I had two new Raptor owners with me at the dunes a couple of weeks ago and constantly had them tell me what the transmission temps were to make sure they weren't getting to hot. Max was 219F. I rode with Ben last Saturday and was amazed how fast the temp climbed and how long it took to come down.

Evilmonkey aka- Don

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I don't have a digital display to show the temp. I have never had my temp gauge move a noticeable amount. I do know that a lot of guys are putting larger trams coolers on because the temp of the trams gets too hot.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea a larger cooler would benefit a bit but it will be like putting a bandaid on an underlying problem waiting to surface. I would def go the route of a larger cooler if it were taking longer to overheat than it is. I don't want to do the cooler yet and then a few thousand miles down the road my trans goes out and Ford starts pointing the finger at me.

To help even further the analog gauge will go from about the middle to the red in about 12-15 min.

Last edited:

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question slash answer but hey its FRF!

Noticed you didn't mention rather it was manual or all automatic shifting. I noticed sometimes in automatic mode it does seem to jump around from gear to gear, in manual you can control it better to stay in gears longer even if you are turning more RPMs which is what I like to do is keep the motor in the RPMs. Should in theory slow down the heating and if it doesn't reach the 240+ range then something to do with clutches and valving. If it does the exact same manual compared to automatic mode then probably a bearing or something like that. The reason I say try that is maybe it might help the dealership narrow down the problem between either a stationary part compared to a moving component.

debordj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched mine during last ocotillo night run and it was 102 degrees outside and my tranny temp stayed between 195 and 198 all night.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question slash answer but hey its FRF!

Noticed you didn't mention rather it was manual or all automatic shifting. I noticed sometimes in automatic mode it does seem to jump around from gear to gear, in manual you can control it better to stay in gears longer even if you are turning more RPMs which is what I like to do is keep the motor in the RPMs. Should in theory slow down the heating and if it doesn't reach the 240+ range then something to do with clutches and valving. If it does the exact same manual compared to automatic mode then probably a bearing or something like that. The reason I say try that is maybe it might help the dealership narrow down the problem between either a stationary part compared to a moving component.

I have tried both automatic and manual modes and it heats up just as fast in both. Every time I have gotten it to heat up this quick has been either at the dunes or when I'm staying in first, second, and third. There's a spot by my place that's about a 3/4 mile dirt loop and that's where I can get it to go into the red in about 12-15min same with the dunes.

The service manual states that our transmissions operating range is 120-248 after that it will go into the yellow and red. When I took Evilmonkey out it went from 97-240 in about 5-6min. And that was with everything left as it would be driving on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter