Steering Question - Feel a slight "whine"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor only has about 1500 miles on it, but I've been noticing a slight bit of feedback in the steering since it was new. It's somewhat hard to describe, but when I'm going straight down the road and I just wiggle the wheel left to right so little that the truck doesn't even respond, I can feel something in the steering wheel when I change turn directions. It feels like the same "whine" that I've felt in older vehicles that had PS leaks and/or were low on PS fluid. I can also feel it when I'm in a long turn like on a freeway on or off ramp curve. I don't feel it at all when the truck is stopped which seems strange because the power steering system would be working harder to turn the wheels when the tires aren't rolling. This leads me to believe that it may have something to do with the power steering pump specifically when it's operating at a higher RPM.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm going to try revving the engine in park and drive, but with the truck stopped and see if I notice it then.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor only has about 1500 miles on it, but I've been noticing a slight bit of feedback in the steering since it was new. It's somewhat hard to describe, but when I'm going straight down the road and I just wiggle the wheel left to right so little that the truck doesn't even respond, I can feel something in the steering wheel when I change turn directions. It feels like the same "whine" that I've felt in older vehicles that had PS leaks and/or were low on PS fluid. I can also feel it when I'm in a long turn like on a freeway on or off ramp curve. I don't feel it at all when the truck is stopped which seems strange because the power steering system would be working harder to turn the wheels when the tires aren't rolling. This leads me to believe that it may have something to do with the power steering pump specifically when it's operating at a higher RPM.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm going to try revving the engine in park and drive, but with the truck stopped and see if I notice it then.

I might have the same problem.

Almost feels like the PS fluid is low, but it's not! There's this vibration/buzzing feeling in the wheel when ever you turn the wheel, but if you're going straight on a level road there is nothing. It also does not do it when you're stopped or below like 20 mph.

No sound associated with it either right?

Mine is scheduled to go into the dealer tomorrow.. though I highly doubt anything will come of it, sense we all know the way the techs are paid favors not finding issues on warrantied vehicles.

Last edited:

MJFDDS

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Mine is going in for service and I will mention it, but I'm sure as stated above that they won't find anything wrong.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck had those symptoms, and got a little worse over time.

Took it into the dealership and had the IIRC Highpressure line replaced under a TSB

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor only has about 1500 miles on it, but I've been noticing a slight bit of feedback in the steering since it was new. It's somewhat hard to describe, but when I'm going straight down the road and I just wiggle the wheel left to right so little that the truck doesn't even respond, I can feel something in the steering wheel when I change turn directions. It feels like the same "whine" that I've felt in older vehicles that had PS leaks and/or were low on PS fluid...

I might have the same problem.

Almost feels like the PS fluid is low, but it's not! There's this vibration/buzzing feeling in the wheel when ever you turn the wheel, but if you're going straight on a level road there is nothing. It also does not do it when you're stopped or below like 20 mph...

I have the same issue. Mine is going in for service and I will mention it, but I'm sure as stated above that they won't find anything wrong.

Hi everyone,

Getting your trucks in to the dealer is a great next step. Come back and post when you have a diagnosis. If you need help after your visit, get in touch with me via PM and I'll do what I can to assist. In your message, include all the details including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Thanks!

Crystal

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Crystal. She's at the dealership right now, waiting on the call to see if they found anything.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Par for the course they found NOTHING! I told them to keep looking and the guy sounded quite annoyed.

I've about had it with Ford service departments.