Raptor transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dizzytablet

Reaction score

Hi all;
My 2010 5.4 liter transmission is driving me crazy. Constantly hunting for the higher gear and then downshifting back and forth. I also had trouble with the torque converter shuddering, which was adjusted by the dealer at the first service. There has to be some software upgrade that can raise the shift points on the transmission without using the tow-haul function. Can anybody help me out??

Going nuts in Seattle

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diz, welcome to the forum. Toast's suggestion above may be a good option for you.
Several people with the 5.4 motor have reported to have preferred the feel of the 5.4's tranny after a tune. You should PM Raptorguy21 and ask him about his experience with that setup... Or maybe he will see this thread and put in his two cents.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
This might make you feel better: If you read the manual they basically address this issue. It's bugged us all at one time or another and I think it's safe to say we have all gotten over it.

Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing
fuel usage during coasting or deceleration. When you take your foot off
the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down the torque
converter clutch locks up and aggressively shuts off fuel flow to the
engine while decelerating. This fuel economy benefit may be perceived
as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from
the accelerator pedal.
Your vehicle’s automatic transmission is equipped with a special shift
strategy that ensures maximum heater performance during cold weather
operation.
When ambient temperature is 23°F (–5°C) or below and the engine
coolant temperature is below 100°F (38°C), light throttle upshifts may be
slightly delayed. Once the engine coolant temperature reaches 160°F
(71°C) the normal shift strategy will resume. This is normal operation
and will not affect the function or the durability of the transmission.
If the normal shift strategy does not resume once the engine
coolant temperature reaches the normal operating temperature,
or if the downshifts and other throttle conditions do not function
normally, see your authorized dealer as soon as possible.

It's been said before but just remember that the transmission wants to get in to 6th gear and stay there for as long as possible. If you drive more aggressively the truck will learn that and respond. Go to the dealership and ask them to clear the adaptive tables for your transmission. When you get the truck back, drive the **** out of it for 200-300 miles. I did exactly this and I am more than pleased. I still drive in Tow/Haul mode between 30-50 because there's absolutely no reason not to. The truck is much more responsive and spirited to drive and it's not hurting a thing. It stays in 3rd instead of getting in to 4th/5th and hunting.

On a separate note:

When they reset my adaptive tables I had a problem where the engine was actually hitting the REV LIMITER before it was shifting from 1-2. I just kept driving it hard and it only did it 3-4 times and stopped. That will show you the computer is working to adapt and self-correct. It's well worth the trip down to the dealership! If all else fails just Tow/Haul it! Think of it as sport mode. Good luck man. and welcome.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for what it's worth Diz, I've also heard of other people resetting the adaptive tables as Bird mentioned and "re-training" the transmission. From what I've seen they did say it improved the situation some.

Banned
Reaction score
yep, driving the **** out of it is what i learnt to do when you get a new vehicle :p
If that doesn't work id say go with a tune like suggested above

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for what it's worth Diz, I've also heard of other people resetting the adaptive tables as Bird mentioned and "re-training" the transmission. From what I've seen they did say it improved the situation some.
What's the process involved in resetting the tables Bo? I have a 6.2, and don't see the problem as much, but always wondered how you reset the adaptive tables in the Trans and Engine.

Falcon

IRONMAN

Reaction score
What's the process involved in resetting the tables Bo? I have a 6.2, and don't see the problem as much, but always wondered how you reset the adaptive tables in the Trans and Engine.

Falcon

Your dealer does that for you. I had it done and it does run a bit better.
Your 6.2 shouldn't really have an issue with the hunting from what I've heard.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
There is a reflash available at the dealer...I noticed a slight improvement. Take it into the dealer do what the Bird says and have them reflash the tranny computer.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good info guys. I have had an issue that I have not discussed much on the forums because I have always felt that it was a software or programming issue. The recent TSB that addresses a harsh downshift at around 40 mph is precisely the issue I have been concerned with. I reprogrammed the PCM and cleared the adaptive tables. Since then I have payed close attention to the relearn process. The issue is largely improved, although not completely gone. It is in my mind acceptable. Keep in mind that I diagnose and repair auto transmissions frequently and little things I feel would likely not be a concern to most. I certainly would recommend the reprogram as the "latest and greatest" calibration file will almost never hurt and will usually improve the performance and longevity of the powertrain component.

FSM