More Raptor Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, admittedly my drama isn't over, but I wanted to start this thread so I could garner as much good info to help the dealer if need be.

Few weeks ago, after some spirited MANUAL MODE driving, I pop her into DRIVE and she won't go past third. I click the +/- button to show the gear lockout and all gears are shown, but it won't shift out of 3rd. I know see that's common with the trans goes to shit. Pulled into MANUAL and the gear indicator doesn't show. Also won't up or down shift. 4000RPM home, restart truck and she's happy again.

Last night same thing. Restart, she's happy.

Get close to home and I get the dreaded Orange Wrench of Death. Pull into garage, restart truck, light goes away.

I drive to my first meeting of the day about an hour from home. Get cut off by some dumb beeeatch and am forced to tell her she's number one and give her a taste of the Stainless Works Turbo S. Point is made and at next stop light it gets bad. Take my foot off brake to roll forward and nothing happens. Tap the gas and I feel it shift into 1st. I roll and then when I let off it shift out, either into Neutral or into a higher gear. Tap the gas and she moves again. Get to the next stop light and restart the truck and so far okay.

Decide to quite f'ing around and just take it to local Ford dealer. Fluid is okay and electrical checks out. They tell me they have to pull the pan and look for metal and are concerned it's the Shift Solenoid. I hope they are right and it's fixed.

I have 72,000 miles on my 2011 and did a trans filter change and fluid flush with Amsoil at 62,000 miles 6 months ago.

So, don't know what it is, but I hope it's cheap since I'm out of warranty. This is coming straight outta the beer/ammo/stripper fund.

When I know more, I'll update. Anyone who can "ballpark" what this is going to cost me, I'll buy them a beer if they're close!

Todd

Last edited:

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Decide to quite f'ing around and just take it to local Ford dealer. Fluid is okay and electrical checks out. They tell me they have to pull the pan and look for metal and are concerned it's the Shift Solenoid. I hope they are right and it's fixed...

Any news from the dealer yet, shooterAMG? Keep us in the loop; I'm always just a PM away if you need my assistance.

Crystal

kboss87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first I've heard about this issue. Would like to know what it is to see if there is anything we can do to prevent it.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keep us posted buddy, I have a sweet Miata for you to use in the interim ;)

"Big guy in a li'il carrrrrrr" ;)

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, still haven't heard anything. At least it's not sitting in the back lot anymore! Had a friend drive by and confirm there was no black AWESOME sitting behind the shop.

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So response from the dealer has been less than atrocious.

Talked to the tech and it's either the valve body or the shift solenoid. How a 3 year old truck with 72k miles can have this issue seriously makes me question the viability of Ford as a brand for me and my family. I mean, I've seen POS Hyundais with 200k miles and no oil and they just keep running. Don't tell me a trans in a $50k truck should shit the bed like this in 72k miles.

Either way, it's currently going to cost me $900 bucks. Pray that it's not the valve body too.

In all sincerity, we were going to buy my wife an Explorer next month. I'm seriously considering NOT doing that and looking at the 4 Runner or Honda Pilot. I can't have two american vehicles that shit like this.

bcjohnson22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being such a rare/odd deal, I wouldn't be so quick to think that all Ford's are shit. I haven't heard of this happening before, and all vehicles have fluke things happen. Granted this is somewhat pricey of a fix, it could be worse.