Window tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.McNinja

Reaction score
See below

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

The 70% is considered clear. Ceramic doas a great job reflecting heat. All the shops in the area do windshield installs. I have had 4 or 5 vehicles done in Texas including through a Ford dealer twice.
Yeah. Maybe I'm misreading you, but that wasn't what you specifically posted.
Fyi, you can tint the front windshield in TX now. Im in Corpus and I have 70% on the windshield. Laws changed few years back. Makes a difference and I would recommend it. Also, use static cling film to attach your registration sticker to the windshield if you tint it.
Clear isn't "tint" to me. UV blockade is legal, and wouldn't cause an issue because they can't see it anyway. They do it at Evin's glass down here. I asked about it though and they didn't try too hard to sell it. Not sure if it's because it's a pain for them to install or what.
What's even funnier is the code I posted was linked from the DPS site you listed. The actual code doesn't mention anything about clear. It just says what I put.

Last edited:

Dee

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe I'm misreading you, but that wasn't what you specifically posted.

Clear isn't "tint" to me. UV blockade is legal, and wouldn't cause an issue because they can't see it anyway. They do it at Evin's glass down here. I asked about it though and they didn't try too hard to sell it. Not sure if it's because it's a pain for them to install or what.
What's even funnier is the code I posted was linked from the DPS site you listed. The actual code doesn't mention anything about clear. It just says what I put.

Evins Glass does a good job. They never mentioned having problems doing the windshields before. They have done several for me.

Dr.McNinja

Reaction score
Evins Glass does a good job. They never mentioned having problems doing the windshields before. They have done several for me.

I agree, they did my tint too. Maybe it was just my salesperson, but they didn't seem to promote the windshield strongly (even after I asked about it).

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shop I talked to said they could do a ceramic clear (70%) on the windshield, but he did not recommend it. He said it was possible for the spray they use to drip down behind the dash and cause problems weeks or months later. He said he would do it if I really wanted, but he recommended a good windshield screen instead.

Mike svt

Reaction score
Getting my raptor from end 3m clear wrapped for paint protection anyone got it done and advise thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I ended up just getting 25% on the front windows and a 5% brow on the windshield. It matched the rears nicely and made a noticeable difference in cabin comfort without impeding my night vision backing up the boat. I don’t have a sunroof so the whole thing was only like $70.

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I ended up just getting 25% on the front windows and a 5% brow on the windshield. It matched the rears nicely and made a noticeable difference in cabin comfort without impeding my night vision backing up the boat. I don’t have a sunroof so the whole thing was only like $70.

Nice! That's a good price for the whole job. Have any pictures?
I'm thinking about brow. It's annoying this truck doesn't have the factory shade band.

M3LELENA

Reaction score
Nice! That's a good price for the whole job. Have any pictures?
I'm thinking about brow. It's annoying this truck doesn't have the factory shade band.

+1 on the pics. if you know the brand of the tint too please