New Roush tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, stop. There's this little thing called the Magnuson-Moss Act....look into it. Only been around since 1975...they have to honor the warranty unless they can prove the modification/aftermarket part caused the failure.

I completely understand what you are saying, but that doesn’t work most of the time. Do you really want to spend the time and money fighting it with a 50/50 chance and also being down a vehicle?

jmrekieta

Reaction score
And let me just add this. Ford sells a whole lot more normal 3.5 eco-boost motors than it does Raptors. This is a well-known fact. If Roush can tune the normal 3.5 for an almost 33% jump in horsepower and torque then I’m sure the same thing can be done for the raptor. It just doesn’t make sense for them to put the R&D into optimizing the Raptor tune because they will sell far fewer Raptor tunes that way. Roush puts its time into the motor that outsells every other motor in the current generation F-150 2 to 1 at least, the 3.5 eco. This also could’ve been done in an effort to get the 2017 models off of the lots. Quite the incentive I think. Seems odd that they don’t have the tunes out for the 2018 model year do they.

Personally this gives me a lot more confidence in reliability in terms of buying a third-party tune from Whipple or MPT etc. Because if you can buy a Roush tune that kicks up the power that much on the normal 3.5, with an optional warranty, I think the same thing goes for our Raptors. It’s all about the money, and always will be. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spartan1

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And let me just add this. Ford sells a whole lot more normal 3.5 eco-boost motors than it does Raptors. This is a well-known fact. If Roush can tune the normal 3.5 for an almost 33% jump in horsepower and torque then I’m sure the same thing can be done for the raptor. It just doesn’t make sense for them to put the R&D into optimizing the Raptor tune because they will sell far fewer Raptor tunes that way. Roush puts its time into the motor that outsells every other motor in the current generation F-150 2 to 1 at least, the 3.5 eco. This also could’ve been done in an effort to get the 2017 models off of the lots. Quite the incentive I think. Seems odd that they don’t have the tunes out for the 2018 model year do they.

Personally this gives me a lot more confidence in reliability in terms of buying a third-party tune from Whipple or MPT etc. Because if you can buy a Roush tune that kicks up the power that much on the normal 3.5, with an optional warranty, I think the same thing goes for our Raptors. It’s all about the money, and always will be. Just my two cents.

You may be right here and it is just all about the money I'm not sure. I hope it's not that they are just too cheap and too lazy to do a proper tune for the Raptor. Is there anyone here from Roush that can speak to this? How about any Whipple or MPT guys with an opinion.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be right here and it is just all about the money I'm not sure. I hope it's not that they are just too cheap and too lazy to do a proper tune for the Raptor. Is there anyone here from Roush that can speak to this? How about any Whipple or MPT guys with an opinion.

Mpt is getting 90 or so rwhp gain and it seems pretty refined. Keep in mind ford is pushing this platform far past that in the GT.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, stop. There's this little thing called the Magnuson-Moss Act....look into it. Only been around since 1975...they have to honor the warranty unless they can prove the modification/aftermarket part caused the failure.

This is not how it works in the real world, but I agree S77 needs to ****

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one of the issues we have is the 10.5:1 comp to out 10:1. I think Ford did it due to the fact that the raptor was meant for more wide open runs off road. 10.5 may have been to much stress.