Catted downpipes question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubyred_gen2raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve researched, The O2 sensor extenders will avoid the CEL won’t they? I’ll see what SPD has to say though.

On a side note, I saw on another thread that you took the Corsa res delete pipe off. So you basically have the Corsa sport. Your set up is exactly what I was wanting to run. Turbo adapters, downpipes and Corsa sport. Don’t want the truck to be obnoxious. I’m leaning away from the extreme for now. By any chance do you have any sound clips of your set up right now? How do you like the Full Race intake?

Yup! with the Res delete pipe on it was way too obnoxious for my liking. Current setup is SPD Downpipes -> FOMOCO Factory Resonator -> Corsa Sport.

I don't Have any sound clips as of right now but if you give me +/- 24 hours I can take some. The exhaust now is where I like it.

The Full Race intake is nice for sure. It rivals others with divorced metal piping that are ~300 ish dollars more (that weird AFE one). To be honest since I was doing the FMIC I thought it would just tie everything together. To me it was worth it, however I'd say it doesn't add any real "power" just efficiency .

That being said I'm a sucker for turbo noises and it for sure checks that box.

I'll repost when I have some videos... Startup , Driving windows down, and maybe a driveby?

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! with the Res delete pipe on it was way too obnoxious for my liking. Current setup is SPD Downpipes -> FOMOCO Factory Resonator -> Corsa Sport.

I don't Have any sound clips as of right now but if you give me +/- 24 hours I can take some. The exhaust now is where I like it.

The Full Race intake is nice for sure. It rivals others with divorced metal piping that are ~300 ish dollars more (that weird AFE one). To be honest since I was doing the FMIC I thought it would just tie everything together. To me it was worth it, however I'd say it doesn't add any real "power" just efficiency .

That being said I'm a sucker for turbo noises and it for sure checks that box.

I'll repost when I have some videos... Startup , Driving windows down, and maybe a driveby?

That would be awesome! I’d appreciate that. Can’t wait to hear it. Thanks

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok update to the thread:

Just got off the phone with SPD. Their catted downpipes are steel with a thin coating of aluminum that is bonded, and then a ceramic paint coating. Hence the aluminized steel. 1 yr warranty. But they won’t throw a CEL with the 400 cell count cats. Stock cats are 2 piece, 600 and a 900 cell count construction. The cats they use are from Magnaflow and are stainless. I was told that being in northeast Pa that stainless would be the best, but I should expect at least 5-6 years out of their downpipes. And if I stay on top of keeping them touched up with some high temp paint then 8-9 years is definitely possible. They are selling so many sets that there is a 2-3 week turn around time. They also said that their turbo adapters are becoming so popular that they have 15 Ford dealerships who are resellers now. That are actually installing the adatpers on brand new vehicles. And not just Raptors. For stainless downpipes they said that Kooks and AFE have had luck avoiding a CEL.

So now I have to find out if anyone has had luck avoiding CEL’s with O2 extenders in any other stainless down pipes. I want to run a tune from MPT but they won’t cancel a CEL from what I’ve read. But I have not called to confirm that yet.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to run a tune from MPT but they won’t cancel a CEL from what I’ve read. But I have not called to confirm that yet.

I called MPT before I made my decision to go with them and they told me they will not clear CELs. I wanted to avoid the O2 extenders, so I skipped the catted DPs. Since I live in Texas and we do not use salt on our roads, I may go with the non-SS SPD DPs in the future.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Onemoosehorn, the Kooks catted downpipes may be up your alley since they are comprised of 100% stainless steel. Their high flow cats are also built for boosted motors and do not throw a CEL. You can also add the SPD Turbo Adapters as well.

We carry all of the brands and have moved a significant number of SPD downpipes as well as others and folks are happy with them. But if the metal composition is a concern, I'd lean more towards the Kooks.

Please let me know if we can help put a package together for you!

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Onemoosehorn, the Kooks catted downpipes may be up your alley since they are comprised of 100% stainless steel. Their high flow cats are also built for boosted motors and do not throw a CEL. You can also add the SPD Turbo Adapters as well.

We carry all of the brands and have moved a significant number of SPD downpipes as well as others and folks are happy with them. But if the metal composition is a concern, I'd lean more towards the Kooks.

Please let me know if we can help put a package together for you!

Ok thanks!

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminized steel is for high school kids who scraped the money together for exhaust.

Stainless steel is the minimum metal type/quality for adults with jobs.

Aluminized steel is not included on any premium products across the industry. Stainless steel is all that is used.

Aluminized steel is what you get at Midas or some other "I don't know anything about cars so I guess I will take mine here" place.

Friends don't let friends use aluminized steel.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I thought that the kooks don't use the adapters at all - their pipe mates right to the turbo sans adapter. What is your price on the kooks?