Who went from Chevy /GMC to Gen 2 Raptor any thoughts or regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck-in-Muck

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how their steering compares? My Raptor isn't being delivered until late April, but based on a few test drives, my initial impression was the steering feels better in the Silverado. Less steering angle required, less artificial feeling, my Chevy feels more analog, linear, and connected to the road. Part of it could be due to tire difference: both run KO2s but different sizes. Part of it could be just what I'm used to. But after testing all the steering modes, I still couldn't find my Goldilocks. It either felt too light/boosted or artificially too heavy. I know steering feel is somewhat subjective, so I'm curious, what's your opinion?

P.S. Not bashing the new Raptor's steering at all... still looking forward to owning and driving the beast!

Last edited:

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how their steering compares? My Raptor isn't being delivered until late April, but based on a few test drives, my initial impression was the steering feels better in the Silverado. Less steering angle required, less artificial feeling, my Chevy feels more analog, linear, and connected to the road. Part of it could be due to tire difference: both run KO2s but different sizes. Part of it could be just what I'm used to. But after testing all the steering modes, I still couldn't find my Goldilocks. It either felt too light/boosted or artificially too heavy. I know steering feel is somewhat subjective, so I'm curious, what's your opinion?

P.S. Not bashing the new Raptor's steering at all... still looking forward to owning and driving the beast!

I don't have my Raptor yet, but will throw in my 2 cents on the consensus, consisting of most of the automotive press, that the GM half ton trucks have the very best steering and handling dynamics currently offered. I had a '16 Sierra Denali not long ago, and it had very direct, car like steering. By comparison, I'm driving a '17 Rebel now, and I don't mind its steering at all, but it is not nearly as direct or precise as the Denali was. If someone wanted the most car like truck on the market, with big payload and towing capacities, GM 1500 trucks are the way to go.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I always liked GM's transmission tuning better. At least for the 6.2 6 and 8 speed compared to my G1. The Raptor always feels like its one gear too high for me. Probably an MPG thing though. I'm sure the G2 in sport mode will be what I'm looking for.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always liked GM's transmission tuning better. At least for the 6.2 6 and 8 speed compared to my G1. The Raptor always feels like its one gear too high for me. Probably an MPG thing though. I'm sure the G2 in sport mode will be what I'm looking for.

Have you ever driven FCA's ZF 8 speed? I rate it above and beyond GM's relatively new 8 speed, any day of the week, whether in the Denali, or my Stingray.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have you ever driven FCA's ZF 8 speed? I rate it above and beyond GM's relatively new 8 speed, any day of the week, whether in the Denali, or my Stingray.

I don't know which one it was. I want to say it was 2016 Silverado with a 6.2.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know which one it was. I want to say it was 2016 Silverado with a 6.2.

That would be paired with GM's 8 speed. My question was actually if you've ever driven a Chrysler Corp. vehicle with the ZF 8-speed automatic. If you haven't, try it if you get a chance. I'm amazed at how much more refined it is than GM's unit. Of course, I shouldn't be, as ZF is the choice of so many high end luxury vehicles. FCA was super lucky to get that transmission in mainstream vehicles like the RAM, Challenger, Charger......it's a phenomenal transmission.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be paired with GM's 8 speed. My question was actually if you've ever driven a Chrysler Corp. vehicle with the ZF 8-speed automatic. If you haven't, try it if you get a chance. I'm amazed at how much more refined it is than GM's unit. Of course, I shouldn't be, as ZF is the choice of so many high end luxury vehicles. FCA was super lucky to get that transmission in mainstream vehicles like the RAM, Challenger, Charger......it's a phenomenal transmission.

Funny you say that I drove my brothers 17 Denalli with the 6.2 and 8 sp today and I thought my ram hemi with 8sp felt much better. FCA hit a home run with the ZF 8sp trans. By far best 8sp option out there right now.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had both gen 1 and numerous chevy trucks. Chevy's quality control is hands down much better. Ford's engineering is better. So buy new expect to take it to the dealer to have weird quirks fixed... but once you get all the qa stuff taken care off, it's going to be amazing. Also, chevy's don't do well off road