Who went from Chevy /GMC to Gen 2 Raptor any thoughts or regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twisted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Long time GM owner considering going to Gen 2 Raptor. Gm trucks appear rather boring on design and innovation these days.
Not trying to start a hater thread. Owned Gm trucks 20 plus years and they have been quite dependable. Thinking its might to time to jump ship or at least give Gen 2 Raptor a try. Just looking for some honest feedback.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2014 GM Ducks Unlimited Edition to my 2014 Raptor. Have never looked back! Don't pay any attention to the back and forth on here from Gen 1 and Gen 2, most of it is just clean "fun." There is good info on both. I can say the Gen 1 is great, YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY WITH ONE! As for Gen 2, the owners seem to be saying the same. A Raptor is a great truck! Show us pics when you bring her home!

Mapleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Coming from 2010 & 2014 gmc crew cab slt 1500 all terrains. I've had zero issues with either trucks. I took the plunge and ordered a 801a. Still waiting for it but can't wait. Raptor is def in my area more of a exclusive club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copp5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Long time GM owner considering going to Gen 2 Raptor. Gm trucks appear rather boring on design and innovation these days.
Not trying to start a hater thread. Owned Gm trucks 20 plus years and they have been quite dependable. Thinking its might to time to jump ship or at least give Gen 2 Raptor a try. Just looking for some honest feedback.

Went from a lifted '14 sierra 1500 that was an awesome truck.. no power with 35's and a lift haha but sharp looking truck and I enjoyed it. to compare the two..

the ride- raptor
power- raptor
trans- raptor-
comfort (seats)- raptor.. seats in this remind me of the ones in a 12 grand sport I had
honestly the raptor has it in every category. its a 2017.. it should be better than a 14. but gm hasn't changed anything.. that being said my brother just picked up a '17 denali duramax.. still no updates on them, I could go either way the sync 3 system, and the one gm uses are both good.. the only thing I like better on it is the speedo cluster.. the denali ones have a cool digital display between the speedo and tach and it only comes on a denali. But given the two I'd still go with the raptor . the dual panel sunroof makes all other ones feel useless.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After owning a 2002, 2005, and 2010 F150, I bought a 2015 Silverado. I looked at the 2015 F150 at the time, but it was the new kid on the block and I wasn't completely sold (at the time) on the Ecoboost engine and the aluminum body. The Chevy was a sufficient truck, but like you said... it is a little bit boring. I would not have traded it in just to get any F150 but the Raptor is really something special. I can honestly say that I have zero regrets in upgrading from the Silverado to the Raptor.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I've also owned several GMs, including SS Silverado, Dodge power wagon, all good rides. But owned a 2011 crew gen 1, best truck yet and now gen 2 which is improved greatly. Ride, power, interior is the best in class.I have only 1000k miles on the new one but 15mpg around town. Bonus.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've done it a couple of times, since 2013, and in both directions. Most recently, but well over a year ago, I sold my '14 Raptor for a '16 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. Had the 6.2L, fully loaded (except ridiculous 22" wheels and power running boards....they later came out with the Denali "Ultimate"), very nice, sharp truck. I've had a lot of vehicles to compare by (49), so I do have a somewhat qualified perspective when I say I agree with you that the design, specifically inside the cockpit, is quite staid, quite boring. It's well put together, in my opinion, but certainly falls behind on what, say FCA is doing, or Ford. Yes, they added a bunch of outlets in the front for device, charging pad for center console, and nice LED interior lighting, but many valuable engineering opportunities missed for clever storage solutions (RAM does the better than anyone I've ever seen or owned).

Powertrain, the 6.2L specifically, in the GM trucks is superlative; absolutely superlative. Has amazing power, everywhere, and sounds fantastic. New 8 speed automatic is better at extracting engine's new muscle, and pulling better fuel economy out of it. However, as far as refinement, compared to ZF in FCA's products, falls far short. Far short. I reported on other threads my criticisms, in detail, on this transmission, whether in my Denali, or my Stingray, and will conclude again that GM's 8 speed transmission is NOT superlative. Follow Truck Trend's "2016 Truck of The Year" for detailed reports from them, as they experienced the same "banging", like being rear-ended by another vehicle, in their long term Denali test unit. Later reports indicate computer reflashes have remedied the problem; just pointing out there is an established history of some hiccups, teething problems....imagine that! Ford would never do that :win:.

Anyway, all in all, my '16 Denali was a very satisfying truck. Lots of muscle for towing. Good payload, since GM actually cares about that (some don't, namely RAM). To my eye, very handsome exterior styling. Good interior quality. Lots of technology overall, and yet lacking things I really enjoy in a modern vehicle, like push button start and passive, hands-free, keyless entry. Amazing overall performance, a pretty decent ride with the Magnetic Ride (although not as good as my '17 Rebel with the 4 corner air suspension and bigger, beefier sidewalls), and surprisingly good fuel economy--and I'm not easy on the go-pedal either :biggrin:.

Of course, compared to a Raptor, the Denali seemed quite pedestrian, quite mainstream. Oh, I know, the word is boring. Loved the truck. But we're comparing against Raptors here!