Stupid fob/tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm coming home from my kids baseball practice, bed full of gear. We stopped at a light and my kid in the backseat says "Dad, your tailgate is down!"

I pull over and I'm thinking maybe I didn't shut it all the way. I get out and shut it firmly. Glad we caught it before I lost everything all over the road.

I get back in and the SOB goes down again! So I get out and slam the tailgate and as I'm getting in I wonder if it's the fob, so I take it out of my pocket. The rest of the ride home goes fine, and when we pull in on our street I start clicking the fob to see if I can make it come down. I can't until I come to a complete stop.

I have to think something in my pocket was pushing on it and as soon I stopped, boom. I either need a fob sheath or to disable that "feature" ASAP. It's dangerous, IMO.

mahabali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh shit... yeah, should not work while moving! Or maybe even running? Mine only has less than a foot of clearance in the back while parked in my garage. Meaning that if the tailgate goes down it will hit the garage door, and then if I don't notice and try to open the garage it could be big problems. Plus I have a one and a half-year-old who somehow get a hold of my keys and presses buttons. It is bound to happen soon.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I didnt know it would work while driving. That definitely is dangerous if thats the case! There should be some sort of light on the dash that shows if your tailgate is down.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So I'm coming home from my kids baseball practice, bed full of gear. We stopped at a light and my kid in the backseat says "Dad, your tailgate is down!"

I pull over and I'm thinking maybe I didn't shut it all the way. I get out and shut it firmly. Glad we caught it before I lost everything all over the road.

I get back in and the SOB goes down again! So I get out and slam the tailgate and as I'm getting in I wonder if it's the fob, so I take it out of my pocket. The rest of the ride home goes fine, and when we pull in on our street I start clicking the fob to see if I can make it come down. I can't until I come to a complete stop.

I have to think something in my pocket was pushing on it and as soon I stopped, boom. I either need a fob sheath or to disable that "feature" ASAP. It's dangerous, IMO.

backup / pocket gun in the same pocket as the fob?
not so much with the micros - .380s but the “pocket 9” class and up size semi-autos and even the J-frame S&W to some extent make for some unexpected remote control behavior.

I guess I need to whittle down my key chain. I got bottle openers and shit on there that probably aren't helping.

Sacrilege ! Of course you keep the bottle opener!

OP
OP
foo.c

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
backup / pocket gun in the same pocket as the fob?
not so much with the micros - .380s but the “pocket 9” class and up size semi-autos and even the J-frame S&W to some extent make for some unexpected remote control behavior.

Sacrilege ! Of course you keep the bottle opener!

I rarely ever pocket carry, but when I do I make sure to keep it in a holster with nothing else in the pocket. My Glock 43 was in the console.

I haven't been able to duplicate it since putting my keys in the cupholder. So I think it's definitely the button being pressed in my pocket.

Also I don't think it will open while moving, but if you come to complete stop in drive it will open if you press the button on the fob it twice. Doesn't seem right to me.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fob is just doing what it's told to do... and it's working properly. I agree with the restraint of having the tailgate go down while in gear, but I want it to be able to go down if I have the truck going as I don't want to have to fool with ignition just to let the tailgate down.

Ha. Cargo shorts actually.

I guess I need to whittle down my key chain. I got bottle openers and shit on there that probably aren't helping.

Get you one of these and take that crazy bottle opener of your keychain. I love my Trayvax!

https://www.trayvax.com/

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fob is just doing what it's told to do... and it's working properly. I agree with the restraint of having the tailgate go down while in gear, but I want it to be able to go down if I have the truck going as I don't want to have to fool with ignition just to let the tailgate down.

Get you one of these and take that crazy bottle opener of your keychain. I love my Trayvax!

https://www.trayvax.com/

I have the Trayvax Element. Best wallet I've ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too have a Trayvax lol.... Seems like it goes with the stereotypical Raptor Owner...