Raptor Overland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met up with Cole at the ADD shop earlier today. He spent a lot of time with me going through every element and option of my build, patiently educated my noob brain, showed me around their impressive fabrication shop, and generally offered me fantastic customer service.

This is my first go at it so the build specs will undoubtedly change, but it's a starting point. This doesn't include the extra wheel/tire I will have to buy, Lawrence GPS, satellite phone, chase radio, gun safe, and all the survival accessories.

wiq29y.jpg

21e94kz.jpg

2017-ford-raptor.jpg

2017-ford-raptor.jpg]

2017-ford-raptor-bed-cage.jpg

Winch, front leveling collars, and new heavy duty rear leaf springs for all the extra weight, included but not pictured.

To be continued ...

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if you're buying a winch bumper why you're relocating the intercooler? I'm not entirely convinced that's a good idea cooling wise, esp in an overlanding situation.

Reaction score
Curious if you're buying a winch bumper why you're relocating the intercooler? I'm not entirely convinced that's a good idea cooling wise, esp in an overlanding situation.

The factory intercooler is right behind the factory bumper in between the frame rails. There is no room to install a winch unless you buy our intercooler kit that mounts out of the way up behind the grill. What concerns do you have? Having the intercooler higher will keep it further away from mud, rocks, sticks, etc when overlanding.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd assumed that one of the benefits of buying a winch bumper was that there'd be enough room for the winch without moving the intercooler.

I get there are benefits of raising the intercooler, but no one to my knowledge has really addressed how doing so affects the radiator cooling. I'm sure that lots of people will do it and say it's fine, but then maybe the most stress those guys will ever put on it is a long line at the starbucks drive through. I'd have to see some real temp numbers or multiple real world reviews before I could be convinced that blocking the radiator as much as the full race intercoolers do is O.K.

But if someone is building for looks or just checking boxes on their build, then go for it. For an 'overland' build though, with slow speeds, hot weather, big loads, far from rescue - a portable winch seems like a smarter choice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd assumed that one of the benefits of buying a winch bumper was that there'd be enough room for the winch without moving the intercooler.

I get there are benefits of raising the intercooler, but no one to my knowledge has really addressed how doing so affects the radiator cooling. I'm sure that lots of people will do it and say it's fine, but then maybe the most stress those guys will ever put on it is a long line at the starbucks drive through. I'd have to see some real temp numbers or multiple real world reviews before I could be convinced that blocking the radiator as much as the full race intercoolers do is O.K.

But if someone is building for looks or just checking boxes on their build, then go for it. For an 'overland' build though, with slow speeds, hot weather, big loads, far from rescue - a portable winch seems like a smarter choice.

We have 10s of thousands of miles on these intercoolers. We are in Phoenix, doesnt get much hotter than that. Our IC is much larger & thicker than the factory IC. You would have to design a huge hideous bumper to be able to fit a winch it in with moving the IC. And even then, the skid plate & winch would be blocking airflow to your factory IC. But you dont have to take our word for it, ask the 300+ ADD intercooler customers about their experiences.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm open minded. I need a winch and I was looking at these intercoolers since long before you guys started putting your name on them. They were literally the first thing on my list of stuff to research when I began looking at F150's. But it's also the first thing I scratched off that list when I couldn't find any real world reviews or actual data.

So yeah, I'd absolutely love to hear from those 300+ customers and I'd love to hear about any testing that you or Full Race has done. But like I said, all I've seen so far is pretty pictures and promises. Trust me, I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

And feel free to make a hideous looking bumper that holds a winch. Personally, I couldn't care less what it looks like so long as it's well built and works.

Last edited: