Raptor Dilema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MG21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am possibly going to order a 2018 Raptor sometime in the next few months.

My situation is I am in sales for a company, I expense all my fuel I put about 15k-20k miles/yr on a vehicle. Is a raptor stupid for this?

Also, I dont think a 4 door can fit in my garage and I think the super cab looks better anyway. We have a 8 month old and a dog......would this be a horrible for taking a kid in and out. Wife and I are both super short 5'6" and she's 5'1" so the seats will always be pretty up.

Curious if this is a bad idea or not.

Thanks

Bigoil

Reaction score

My situation is I am in sales for a company, I expense all my fuel I put about 15k-20k miles/yr on a vehicle. Is a raptor stupid for this?

Also, I dont think a 4 door can fit in my garage and I think the super cab looks better anyway. We have a 8 month old and a dog......would this be a horrible for taking a kid in and out. Wife and I are both super short 5'6" and she's 5'1" so the seats will always be pretty up.

Thanks[/QUOTE

When your kid gets older your gonna regret not having 4 doors ... plus 4 doors look better ..

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your company foots the bill for your fuel, I don't see why a Raptor wouldn't be a good candidate for your use case... however, if you have to pay out of pocket for fuel, then perhaps a regular F150 may be a better bet... lower initial cost, and somewhat better mileage.

Regarding the S-Cab vs S-Crew, if it was me I'd really do my best to see if an S-Crew will fit in the garage. You could check this by renting/test driving a regular F150 S-Crew, as the Raptor (S-Crew) is the same length as the regular F150 in this configuration.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks

If you can expense the gas who cares what mpg your getting. The truck is great for road trips. Its very comfortable and easy to drive for long distances.

As far as space goes the 4 door is the way to go in my opinion if you have kids and pets. The screw fits 3 kids and an 80 pound dog with some room to spare in the back.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 Door is much easier, especially with car seats, but then you said your short so that'll help a lot.

Sasquatch dislikes every thread with the mention of the EcoBoost.

If you got the 6.2L yes the Raptor is stupid for this...comment for Sas...well likely you'd have someone questioning your fuel bills as they'd be among the highest. The Raptor you'd be looking at would be at least a 30% gain.

Fuel mileage wise my Raptor is doing better than my 12' Eco...but I've yet to add accessories with any weight. How long do you plan on keeping it? If the seats are moved up it might not be too bad, then with traveling it'll be a shorter reach to the kid. Probably around 5-6 years it would likely be a bit too tight for the kid...but then genetics and assuming the mailman/neighbor isn't 6'2" :ROFLJest:

Best of luck, but that's a lot of extra $ compared to a regular F150...

OP
OP
MG21

MG21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your company foots the bill for your fuel, I don't see why a Raptor wouldn't be a good candidate for your use case... however, if you have to pay out of pocket for fuel, then perhaps a regular F150 may be a better bet... lower initial cost, and somewhat better mileage.

Regarding the S-Cab vs S-Crew, if it was me I'd really do my best to see if an S-Crew will fit in the garage. You could check this by renting/test driving a regular F150 S-Crew, as the Raptor (S-Crew) is the same length as the regular F150 in this configuration.

It would be really tight with the crew cab. I basically drive around CO and WY a lot and go to the airport. Family hauling is in the wife's SUV. So it would basically be a daily for me, although I work from home 50% of the time.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

4 Door is much easier, especially with car seats, but then you said your short so that'll help a lot.

Sasquatch dislikes every thread with the mention of the EcoBoost.

If you got the 6.2L yes the Raptor is stupid for this...comment for Sas...well likely you'd have someone questioning your fuel bills as they'd be among the highest. The Raptor you'd be looking at would be at least a 30% gain.

Fuel mileage wise my Raptor is doing better than my 12' Eco...but I've yet to add accessories with any weight. How long do you plan on keeping it? If the seats are moved up it might not be too bad, then with traveling it'll be a shorter reach to the kid. Probably around 5-6 years it would likely be a bit too tight for the kid...but then genetics and assuming the mailman/neighbor isn't 6'2" :ROFLJest:

Best of luck, but that's a lot of extra $ compared to a regular F150...

Yeah the 17' Raptor gets about the same MPG as a Tundra and we have a few reps with those. Trips would be in the wives' SUV. I really dont have a need for the truck at all, more of a want. I currently drive a Jeep GC Eco Diesel and its fine for about everything I need.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely get the full size 4 door crew with a family. I had a 2010 SCAB from the time my daughter was born until she was 2.5 years old. You don't know the struggle you are getting yourself into. Sure, you may have enough room in the back for a car seat, but the back doors opening out are the biggest problem! You have to open the front door to open the back door too which creates quite a *********** when loading or unloading anything in the back seat from kids, dogs, or even groceries. If you are in the parking lot of a store and there are cars parked on both sides of you and you have to open both doors on one side with the front opening forward and the rear opening backwards, you completely block off your aisle access between the cars to your interior. Trust someone who has been there and done that. You are better off with 4 normal doors.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When your kid gets older your gonna regret not having 4 doors ... plus 4 doors look better ..

4 doors look better?? please elaborate. if you are into long cabs and long beds maybe. short and sporty for me.

there's plenty of room in a scab. I've had full size adults in the back of mine with no complaints and i didn't have to move my seat up either. i can also count on one hand how many times people have rode in the back, so each situation is different. if you're taking multiple clients out for lunch, the limo cab might be better for you. the only downfall is the smaller fuel tank on the sport cab.

why would you buy a Panamerica when you can live happily with a 911

Scabs for life

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SCAB and it has plenty of room. The rear doors open really far so you won't have an issue with accessing the back seat. I advise you to go to your local Ford dealer and look at a SCAB F-150 (not necessarily even a Raptor). Sit in it, open the doors, even test drive it. The Raptor will have the same amount of interior space.

Also, you're right, the SCAB does look way better. It's an offroad sports/performance truck, not a people hauler. Shorter wheelbase, lower weight, more capability. Plus you save a few grand off the SCREW if that's any incentive.