Out Of Balance Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my new 2017 Raptor on Monday and noticed something that didn't feel quite right in the rear of the truck on my test ride. I mentioned it to my salesman and he correctly informed me that the tires may need a few miles on them since they were sitting for quite a while on Ramp 59. That said, 300 miles later and it still didn't feel right, so I took it to a local tire shop this morning to get them road force balanced. All said and done, the two rear tires were so bad that they couldn't even be balanced. I immediately went to my dealership who is going to replace them later today with new tires. I am definitely not accusing Ford of anything, but it is very interesting that the two bad tires were both on the back of the truck where issues would not be anywhere near as noticeable as if they were on the front. Hopefully everybody else has better luck, but you may want to have your tires tested just to make sure. If I didn't notice the issue until the tires were rotated to the front, I am not sure how this situation would have played out.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with a tire warranty, I am sure yours does too. Look yours up and capitalize on it. Also know that a lot of places can balance tires 35in tires and up, the weight its to heavy for them to do it right. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with a tire warranty, I am sure yours does too. Look yours up and capitalize on it. Also know that a lot of places can balance tires 35in tires and up, the weight its to heavy for them to do it right. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the response. My tires are being taken care of under warranty by my dealer with no issues. The reason I made the post is to let everybody know that if something doesn't feel right, they should have their tires road force tested ASAP. I received two tires that cannot be appropriately balanced by anybody; they are defective. I also found it interesting that they were both coincidentally placed on the rear where noticing an issue would be much harder than if they were placed on the front.

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting and thanks for the post. I'm picking up my new Raptor tomorrow 12/31 and will make DAMN SURE the "seat of the pants" feel is correct!

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. My experience with tires has me believeing that they make xx number, expect xx number to be out of road force specs, and account for a percentage of people who will notice, in their price, for replacement. My gen 1 went through 3 separate replacements from the reseller (4WheelParts) who got credit from the manufacturer. 4WheelParts is awesome when it comes to issues. At least my store was.

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing is perfect, ive purchased $2-3k wheels and $1500 tires and still had some that wouldn't balance out... just a matter of contacting the right people for replacement. nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! Just make sure they can get you the raptor specific tire...my dealer owes me a tire and can't get the correct bfg quite yet.

rabtech

Reaction score
Picked up my new 2017 Raptor on Monday and noticed something that didn't feel quite right in the rear of the truck on my test ride. I mentioned it to my salesman and he correctly informed me that the tires may need a few miles on them since they were sitting for quite a while on Ramp 59. That said, 300 miles later and it still didn't feel right, so I took it to a local tire shop this morning to get them road force balanced. All said and done, the two rear tires were so bad that they couldn't even be balanced. I immediately went to my dealership who is going to replace them later today with new tires. I am definitely not accusing Ford of anything, but it is very interesting that the two bad tires were both on the back of the truck where issues would not be anywhere near as noticeable as if they were on the front. Hopefully everybody else has better luck, but you may want to have your tires tested just to make sure. If I didn't notice the issue until the tires were rotated to the front, I am not sure how this situation would have played out.

Mine are horrible. At 85 to 90mph you can see the radar detector about to vibrate off the windshield... The rear tires have 30 gray stick on weights each....

I can honestly say whoever let the tires and rims out the door should be fired immediately.... Seriously the weights are more than 1/4 Way around the rim...Ill shoot a picture for y'all....

Attachments

• 20170104_175549.jpg
    20170104_175549.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170104_175557.jpg
    20170104_175557.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about viscous balancing? For mud and snow really good as it keeps adapting