Delay to test 10 speed transmissions - Reuters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all software and easily fixed. Not a big deal.

I'm fairly up to date on not only transmission calibration but also engine tuning as well. I would think if it was really only a tuning issues they would not be so cautious with holding them. I would think that if it was off it would not be a catastrophic issue and they would have released the trucks weeks ago.

Not trying to turn this into a fight like all the other post but rather get your take on why you think it's a calibration issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm fairly up to date on not only transmission calibration but also engine tuning as well. I would think if it was really only a tuning issues they would not be so cautious with holding them. I would think that if it was off it would not be a catastrophic issue and they would have released the trucks weeks ago.

Not trying to turn this into a fight like all the other post but rather get your take on why you think it's a calibration issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More of an assumption than anything. Late software changes happen all the time, probably messed something up with a late change.

Hardware issue would likely have been noticed earlier in the process.

It isn't necessarily that quick to fix the code and then reprogram all of those trucks.

I suppose it could be a mfg hardware issue as well.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, if it were just software, they'd go ahead and ship the trucks and have the dealers update the software before delivery. Far more efficient that way, and they wouldn't be pissing off customers by shipping trucks off the line before the ones they built months ago.

Has to be a mechanical problem, which would explain both the retrofit and the long delay - you've got to design the fix, build prototypes, then run them through accelerated testing to make sure the fix works.

I'd bet they're swapping out the transmissions and then sending the bad ones back to the plant to be rebuilt.

poison123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, if it were just software, they'd go ahead and ship the trucks and have the dealers update the software before delivery. Far more efficient that way, and they wouldn't be pissing off customers by shipping trucks off the line before the ones they built months ago.

Has to be a mechanical problem, which would explain both the retrofit and the long delay - you've got to design the fix, build prototypes, then run them through accelerated testing to make sure the fix works.

I'd bet they're swapping out the transmissions and then sending the bad ones back to the plant to be rebuilt.

Not so sure at this point. I don't think those idiots at ford ever had any intention of releasing the trucks till about now. Literally what a day or two after the media event some trucks show up at the dealerships......sure I totally believe it just happen to work out that way at this point.

Delmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so sure at this point. I don't think those idiots at ford ever had any intention of releasing the trucks till about now. Literally what a day or two after the media event some trucks show up at the dealerships......sure I totally believe it just happen to work out that way at this point.

FWIW, I agree with poison123. Ford announced the early December media event quite some time ago - and likely intended first deliveries to coincide with that event (Late Fall). I'm sure they wanted to control the initial messaging with the media experience rather than have every knucklehead taking delivery posting random reviews before the media had an opportunity to set the initial tone.

The "retrofit" seems to be happen-stance along the way.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I agree that it's more than a software issue. My rep says my truck is held at the ramp for a "retrofit". If that's the tranny issue that doesn't describe a reprogram to me. I'm sure if it was that simple they would release that info.
But if it was a reprogram they probably would not ship them before they corrected the issue. The 16' Focus RS had to have a reprogram because they discovered the rear hatch could be released under something like 5mph. They held those units in shipping until they did the updates. They used to send the units to the dealer but any more they hold them in transit and repair them first.

We currently have a 17' F250 that's been at the ramp for quite some time waiting on some sort of quality correction and a GT350 waiting for an updated oil line.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Are you saying Raptors have shown up at dealerships or the regular 150 with the new 3.5 and the 10 speed?