Back-up Sensor - Hitch Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brzon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back-up Sensor Useless with Hitch Installed

Found that the back-up sensor is just a nuisance with trailer hitch and ball installed in receiver (no trailer even).

Ultrasonics are too close to hitch and pick up the ball not obstructions forcing driver to override the sensor audible alarm each time in reverse if hitch ball is left in receiver after towing. Pretty easy design verification. How did Ford manage to miss this?

Assume this is the case with all F150's...

Last edited:

lunchboxrts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not do that. Hitch in it right now and my sensors are not picking it up. Sounds like yours sensors are off from factory.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found that the back-up sensor is just a nuisance with trailer hitch and ball installed in receiver (no trailer even).

Ultrasonics are too close to hitch and pick up the ball not obstructions forcing driver to override the sensor audible alarm each time in reverse if hitch ball is left in receiver after towing. Pretty easy design verification. How did Ford manage to miss this?

Assume this is the case with all F150's...

Thanks. This is good to know.

How do you override the sensor audible alarm?

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine does this too. I end up tuning out the sound of the backup sensors because they're constantly going off every time I put the truck in reverse. It's only a matter of time until I ignore an ACTUAL obstruction.

Out of curiosity, is yours just a standard hitch or one of those ones with different size balls on all four sides? Mine has three different ball sizes and a hook on the fourth side, and I had assumed that was why it was triggering the sensors. At some point I'll have to dig out a standard hitch and see if it still triggers the sensors. I have one laying around somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brzon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the one we use for our tandem axle boat trailer, just a simple single 2" ball on a Reese ~2" drop hitch.

The heavier LDH we just got for the 24' car hauler uses a 2-5/16" ball and is sure to set it off too with all that iron for the LDH arm socket mounts.

We have also got a 3 sided (3 baller) Harbor Freight one that has 2-5/16", 2" and 1-3/4" that I suspect would probably set it off also, as that is larger than the simple single ball 2" one causing the issue currently as well...

Frustrating.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Mine does not do that. Hitch in it right now and my sensors are not picking it up. Sounds like yours sensors are off from factory.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How much drop and what ball size?

Last edited:

lunchboxrts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a standard 2" ball, 2" drop most of the time. Out of curiosity put the 2 5/16 3" drop and it did not set off the backup sensors.

OP
OP
B

brzon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a standard 2" ball, 2" drop most of the time. Out of curiosity put the 2 5/16 3" drop and it did not set off the backup sensors.

SCAB or SCREW? (not that that would make any difference).

Just not understanding how some Owners could be experiencing this issue and others not...must be something to do with the angles of the inboard sensors on the plastic part of the bumper...

Also noticed it as being somewhat intermittent this morning. Some times works fine, others beeps like crazy.

Going to try removing the black rubberized vinyl Reese ball cover I keep on the 2" and see if that makes any difference. Sets up about 1/2" over the top of the ball when installed....hides the rust!

Might also be a function of how far the Reese sticks out behind the bumper...

Last edited:

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem on mine. Three inch drop with a 2 inch ball. Never sets it off .

I bet it's the 3" drop that's making yours ok. The OP states his has less drop, and mine has zero drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brzon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was playing with these inboard sensors this evening and noticed that the plastic they are mounted on is subject to pretty easy deflection. Suspect some are bent towards hitch creating issue...seems like can bend away a bit and put some sort of spacer behind but that's a project for another day....glad we can all help Ford finish their engineering on this truck....2018 inboard sensors looks to be moved out to just over exhaust...suspect this is why.

Took the hitch out today for wash so couldn't easily test theory.