GEN 2 Auto Start/Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Im new here and just purchased my Gen2. The idea of the auto start/stop is cool and all..... BUT how is this done? does this place unnecessary strain and wear on the starter? or is it done without using the starter somehow?

Asking because my 2011 Raptor developed a bad starter after 52,000 miles. That was with just one start per drive. I'm a bit worried. any insight from you guys?

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Suggest you do a search, there are several threads where this topic is covered in an inordinate amount of detail. The bottom line is it is engineered to support the feature.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The gen2 uses a hamster wheel and a specialized clutch to start/stop, if the starter fails , you go to the nearest pet store for a replacement

Feed the hamster only starbucks coffee, the official Raptor coffee. Other coffees will cause the hamster to detonate. starbucks mocha if you plan to do a lot of city or traffic driving. Mocha has 25% more energy than straight coffee.

Don’t fee the hamster decaf or the hamster will seize up.

When you press the disable start / stop, select sport mode or mall starbucks mode, the hamster gets a much needed rest.

Start stop is cool at stop lights, you’re not wasting fuel. stop and go traffic you can manage it but it’s more of a challenge depending on traffic. Some people diss the start stop feature, just like coo-magnon and neanderthals eschewed modern tools and technology. Embrace the new tech.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’d driven a couple cars in Europe with the start / stop so it didn’t offend me so much.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty used to it (1500 miles). I leave it on most of the time. You can also control it by finessing the brake. As you come to a stop, back off the pressure, and it keeps running. Push a little harder, and it shuts off.
It can sometimes be distracting, because you have to think about it as you come to a stop. "Do I let it shut off, or am I about to go?"