Why run a tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to find out what are the benefits on putting a tuner on the 6.2?

Does it void warranty or cause problems?
I just wonder because I always assume that ford would be giving us their best when it comes to fuel mileage and performance so why would you void your warranty and get a five star?

I have seen people here get tuners and am thinking hard about getting one. Just don't want to mess my truck up and wanted some opinions on why get one?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A tune will really wake the truck up tremendously. As with any modifications, you run the risk of voiding the warranty on certain items but they have to prove the modification was a cause for the damage. Personally, I'd call it a must do for performance mods.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
It makes a drastic difference. Remove the gains from it, and you'd still be happy with the overall drivability.

Talk to @HAYNES OFFROAD and he can get you setup with a tuner and the SVC tune.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
The biggest thing a tune helps with is throttle response and transmission shifting (besides a modest bump in power). The OEM tune is a bit "lazy" and is definitely in need of help. Plus, if your running headers, exhaust or an intake its a good idea (especially headers) to get tuned. Otherwise, you'll be running rick/lean and possible engine damage can occur.

You will most likely void your power train warranty if your servicing dealer finds out your running a tune.

Running a tune is safe. SVC's tune retains all of fords factory safeguards and will not cause any problems.

OP
OP
TBONE21

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i guess my main question is why didn't ford make their programming good so nobody would never dream of buying a tuner?

S197Mach1

Reaction score
I haven't tuned my truck yet but I have tuned my past mustangs. Dyno tune(requires a handheld tuner still) is the best. Besides hp gains you can modify other parameters, such as tire size or gear ratio needed for calculating the correct miles per hour your speedometer displays. Unlocking the speed governer if you desire. Transmission parameters for how you drive. think of fords tune as something safe across every raptor they built. No two are going to be exactly the same. So when you dyno tune its specific to your vehicle. In my case I've always picked up mpg and hp on my vehicles. I had a 2007 gt with a Saleen supershaker pushing 500 hp and with cruise control could still pull off 27-29 mpg on the highway, a beautiful thing. Also when changing air intake/headers/engine parts you'll need to adjust the computer for those changes.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I have wondered if running a tune would sacrifice reliability. Is this true?

A proper tune from a trusted and well experienced tuner, NO.

Get a tune from Billy Bob (just a generalization, no offense to any billy bobs on FRF. Haha) from down the street, then yes, you could destroy your motor and/or transmission.