Power Steering fluid replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power steering unit has begun to whine and not wanting to mess up any of my truck would it help to drain the resivour and add new fluid, run it and do the same once or twice more.

I'd rather not disconnect any hoses to flush the system unless absolutely necessary

Would this be a feasible fix or at least an improvement at all? Rather not have the pump die on me going down the road!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could try it, but the pump develops a fracture inside and the fluid starts to cavitate and aerate the fluid. I used some Lucas p/s stop leak fluid and the noise was gone for quite awhile, till the pump failed all the way, while doing 4wd Donuts in the snow.

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try it, but the pump develops a fracture inside and the fluid starts to cavitate and aerate the fluid. I used some Lucas p/s stop leak fluid and the noise was gone for quite awhile, till the pump failed all the way, while doing 4wd Donuts in the snow.
Hahah yeah I figured the pump might be messed up. I followed the steps to check the fluid levels and everything the fluid is between the high and low and still is the red color it should be. I will have to look into the stop leak and give it a try! Thanks for the input

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk