Opinions on tuning for cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stoped by livernois today to buy the cams. Asked about tunning after I put them in. They quoted me $800 but said their tuner doesn't like tuning with the volant intake so it would be an extra $300. Or I could switch to their "modified" air raid and it would be $1100 for the intake and tune. So in short $1100 to tune mine with the volant or $1100 for the "modified" air raid and tune. But if I already had the air raid the tune would be $800. I have my own theories as to why it is an extra $300 to tune with the volant but ill keep them to myself. There are a number of tuners close to me including walsh motorsports and alternative auto. Normally I would go somewhere else but livernois has the experience. I'm not so much worried about the engine tuning but the transmission. What would you do?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a super expensive rate for tuning. Especially since it's their cams so they should have a pretty solid baseline down. The extra $300 for the not-theirs intake is a bit strange too.

That said, I know nothing of what is involved in tuning the stock ECU in our trucks.

I've only ever dealt with the AEM EMS, and the ECUFlash software for the stock mitsubishi ECU that was in my evo.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what MMR Racing can do with a 6.2L. MMR sells a 1000hp rated 5.0 short block for $3,800. Livernois sells the big 6.6L short block for $8,000? WTF? 2x Raptor Tax? O well. I'm not going to hate on anybody but this Raptor tax shit is ridiculous.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably paying for a tuner, which is around $400 I think for the box. Then Dyno time. If someone has a stock tune already done, then would be much less money. But then it would need to be a stock tune that has the same options as you are running, air intake, exhaust, headers, or anything else that may have been tweaked.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what MMR Racing can do with a 6.2L. MMR sells a 1000hp rated 5.0 short block for $3,800. Livernois sells the big 6.6L short block for $8,000? WTF? 2x Raptor Tax? O well. I'm not going to hate on anybody but this Raptor tax shit is ridiculous.

Like you said RATED at 1000hp that would mean you need the parts to achieve that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2004boss

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just helped my friend build a 1000hp tt 5.0 using the mmr rotating assembly. So far its at 860 on 11 psi with wayyyyy more left in it. Clutch started slipping.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Here's what I'm guessing is going on. He told me 800 for dyno tune. Then said $300 more because of my intake. That leads me to believe that 800 gets me the box tune they have developed for the headers intake cam. And the 300 more is for the dyno time to compensate for the volant. In my eyes that is fine, thats fair. A little more $$ than most but its their gig. But don't tell me its 800 for a DYNO tune. But idk maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought long and hard about the cams from them every time I have talked to them I just get the feeling like I'm about to be taken advantage of. The kit price is reasonable but the install and the tuning is out there now I guess maybe I have been out of the game for a little while but it seems very pricey cams installed with head work and tune is about $11,000. It's $3000. Just to install the cams. I'm sure they work well but for that money I would rather spend it else where and be a bit happier that I didn't get a shot in the pants. At the end of the day there is plenty of power from a 5 star tune headers and cai for off road driving and a far as on road these are 6000 lbs trucks that are big and tall they are not sports cars the more power they have the more things break. They are not ment to drag race or street race if that's what you are doing you should of bought a different truck. Supercharging doesn't work off-road to many things can go wrong if you want big power buy a bigger motor. Then the next problem you have is traction and the tranny. Good luck there that's going to be expensive and there's not many people doing them.

Just my 2 cents take it or leave it

Good luck with your build what ever you decide

GoMuscles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying the prices are reasonable but they do sell a 1000hp rated short block in stock displacement for $4999. Just a G more than MMR and its still the 6.2

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like you said RATED at 1000hp that would mean you need the parts to achieve that.

Right but that includes the rotating assembly minus heads and cams and intakes. I'm just saying that a Raptor tax sucks. I wish more "racing shops" would get these engines in and get to play with them and then everybody competes with each other as far as who has what and how can we make it affordable compared to the others. Competition should bring the price down if there was any.

Kirks5oh

Reaction score
Livernois has a pretty decent rep in the mustang world in terms of motors/tuning. Mmr has been drug through the mud recently with some pretty damning accusations. Sure, no company is perfect. But they came in the thread and made it 100 times worse in a very public/highly viewed thread. Why not just come out and ask livernois why the extra money for the tune? It sounds like the reason you've mentioned, which is understandable.