Removal of resonator, void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyGirl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I want to run the 3" pipe to a magnaflow 3" in 3" out & remove the resonator. Not only should it sound better, if I stay 3" all the way it should slightly improve performance, right? I just don't know if I should wait to remove the resonator after warranty expires. Any info will be appreciated.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to run the 3" pipe to a magnaflow 3" in 3" out & remove the resonator. Not only should it sound better, if I stay 3" all the way it should slightly improve performance, right? I just don't know if I should wait to remove the resonator after warranty expires. Any info will be appreciated.

Just like a woman always trying to add inches. Seriously though I would think not. My exhaust is custom/modified and my dealer could give two ***** about that. What could they even say when you are opening the exhaust and not restricting it. You have to be in with your service writer and then you don't have to worry about that shit.

I already did everything above except delete the resonator. That's going though too.

Last edited:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You really shouldn't have any issues doing that. Installing headers is where you start to cross the line but just like any other warranty claim, the damage has to be caused by the modifications. Proof and who that burden is given to is different at some dealers.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. The resonator is straight through and is not a restriction. But it does do what it's supposed to - reduce resonance. I removed mine and was sorry I did...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,338

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, as to flow, the resonator is a turbulence chamber and as such will add resistance to flow.
Also the resonator is only tuned to the OEM system, changing anything will make it's function questionable.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. The resonator is straight through and is not a restriction. But it does do what it's supposed to - reduce resonance. I removed mine and was sorry I did...

Why were you sorry you did? Just a noise thing or was it a performance issue?

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why were you sorry you did? Just a noise thing or was it a performance issue?

Resonance. A little too much of a good thing. I took it off, noticed no performance impact, no louder, but a lot more resonance.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that there is no performance impact but DEFINITELY noticed that it was significantly louder! So the resonance is an issue for you because if the noise created by the resonance? Could the built up of resonance cause any problems to anything?

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it will cause a problem. It just resonated more than I would have preferred. But all is well. It has grown on me.