GPS recording my travels. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been told I'm being taken for a ride on Monday. I want to record the travels in a GPS nav format, on my iPhone, so I can mark points as I go or after I get home. This particular trip will be all on road but I want to use this to learn "more better" how to record my tracks.

My first thought is to use the Tracks record in Motion X. Not used this before. I have used Google before.

Any suggestion?

6.2 - Power To Do More

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Motion x works great, it'll keep a live track as long as there is cell reception

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cups

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know cell reception may get spotty. But was hoping the GPS mode would keep it working. That's the area of understanding I need to build. I've not been very successful doing this. But this time I'm not driving so I can give it my full attention. Will see. Thanks

6.2 - Power To Do More

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend a different device, like a 0801 dashcam with GPS. Either that or keep the cellphone plugged to a charger, because the GPS function eats up battery.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you use the GPS receiver with motion x you will be alright for viewing the track later. Once you lose service it'll keep up your location but you lose your maps. Only way to avoid this is by downloading the maps over the area you'll be in before hand.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a route in some remote areas that have seasonal/dirt roads and trails and I'm looking for a good online map source to mark some routes. The area has no cell reception so I can't use my phone.

I have the map overlays downloaded to my tablet, (which we'll use during the pre-run) but I can't figure out how to mark out a set route. Every online map source I've tried to use, always wants to take me on paved roads/highways rather than following the direct route that I've pinned/marked out.

Google Maps isn't too bad, but it only allows you to mark about a dozen way points (if that), and even then still wants to redirect you back to major roads and doubles back on itself.

Bing Maps doesn't show all the roads and won't allow you to travel along un-improved roads.

Google Earth is nice because it actually shows all the roads/trails, but I can't figure out how to make it follow my "pins" from Point A, to B, to C, to D, etc...but even then it still wants to follow major/indirect routes.

Also, does anyone know if the Backcountry Maps Ap for the Tablet will mark the routes while we're traveling? Then I can go back later and clean up the route to use for a future run?