Spare tire cable... through the bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this afternoon I was fawking around with my truck and putting a weather guard chest in the bed and I got to thinking about carrying tires; more so how the fawk im gonna carry two in the bed without a rack.

So i lowered the tire from under my bed and got to thinking... What if I made a small cutout in the bed to run the cable up through the bed? Seems like itd work for at least one tire.... and if the cable was swapped out to a longer one... maybe two tires. Just stack the tires, run the cable through, and then crank the buggers down.

Thoughts? Anyone done it?

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm liking your thinking process here. Although i'm not sure would those stay in place stacked up but at least it could easily hold one in place. Cable should be long enough to hold two tires, since you can lower one from under truck to ground. Sub'd to see your progress if this happens.
I was thinking the same thing. Figured make a cross out of some thin strips of metal (37" long) with some vertical tabs on the ends. Set it between the tires so once theyre tightened down... they cant move separately. I'll talk to Jarrett @ SVC next time Im down... sure he can brew something like that up in a jiffy for me.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you truly want to have the tires stacked in the bed, then I would come up with something utilizing a long threaded rod passing through the middle of the wheels with a large 'nut' holding the tires down. This would help with unitizing the tires together and be a lot stronger than a cable. Would be able to handle the lateral forces associated with off roading. I'm not sure the stock 'winch' would be able to be tightened enough to keep the tires/wheels from moving around.

Good luck with your project!!!

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you truly want to have the tires stacked in the bed, then I would come up with something utilizing a long threaded rod passing through the middle of the wheels with a large 'nut' holding the tires down. This would help with unitizing the tires together and be a lot stronger than a cable. Would be able to handle the lateral forces associated with off roading. I'm not sure the stock 'winch' would be able to be tightened enough to keep the tires/wheels from moving around.

Good luck with your project!!!
Good Point. Maybe do it in concert with a custom made strap that locks into the rear tie down points?