Spare tire safety cable removal *added photos of cable in later post *

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his defense, the manual isn’t super clear on this process.

OP
OP
S

slimmytimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't come apart. Once you lower the wheel, that whole assembly slips through the center hole.
Ok the safety cable must’ve been installed incorrectly through the smaller spoke of the wheel straight from Ford. Does that mean the black cable goes over the top of the spare tire? The spare tire was put upside down by the tire shop after getting a replacement.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cable attaches to the piece that goes through the center hole. So when you have your spare on the ground, wheel face up, slide the whole end through the center hole and start cranking. That will have the cable over the top

If you look at BaseModel’s pic you can see the cable at the top, going over the top of the tire

OP
OP
S

slimmytimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess my cable was not installed properly from the factory because it went through a small spoke of the wheel, not the center hole. It also was installed under the tire, not over the top. I’ll check my other truck shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter