Where to buy vinyl?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rant engaged!

First off.. Please someone let me know where I can buy 3m 1080 matte dark grey vinyl so I can do my hood wrap and some knife less tape.

Now hear this!

I've been drooling over a full wrap for months. I got a killer price from a company in New York and still very interested. This company has been amazing to deal with and patient. However, it's an 18 hour drive for me then I have to stay in manhattan for 3 nights. A killer price with the added expenses makes sense to go local for a little extra but I'm a loyal customer and he was the best to deal with, I would still consider going there for a full wrap and he does great work though the travel portion adds significant pricing to the project.

I've spoken to the company in south Florida that did bramaged dained's truck but the clear matte is just way too pricey at nearly twice the price of vinyl. These people were also prompt and awesome to deal with.

I go to our local vinyl/wrap shop.. Well they want $2k over any other quoted pice and want to make an appointment for ... 4 months later! Nope..

Well there's a new company in town who's trying to make a name for their business. I bump in to someone who knows a partner and they become excited to do a raptor and offer me a "better price" if I run a small window sticker to grab attention, no problem lets get it on !

Emails, emails, emails, pictures, emails. No progress. After sending 8 emails and getting 5 responses he wants to see the truck and every week makes an "appointment" but will get back to me on a time of day. Well every Monday night I get a one liner stating he was tied up all day. Hmmm but I learned from the partner that the guy running the business has been away !

Then I scrap the wrap idea. I think I'm going to order some vinyl and do the Fred mod hood wrap.

So a week ago I order a few small pieces for the interior and tail gate emblem from AUTO VINYL SOLOUTIONS... I order it to go to my US address. All is fine and it was delivered.

A week later I order knife less tape and vinyl to do the hood wrap from AUTO VINYL SOLOUTIONS. I get an email two days later that my order has been flagged as credit card fraud and it has been cancelled.. I reply stating it is not a fraud. I authorize the payment please send it ASAP. Wel I get an ignorant response that they "can't" ship to any other address than the credit card billing address.. Seems odd that you can distinguish the two addresses and they did it a week prior !

Well AUTO VINYL SOLOUTIONS... You have just lost a customer, the same customer that has been considering buying enough vinyl to wrap a raptor...

Why ship it to Florida rather than Canada you ask? Well that's because shipping of a 5x1 roll was $3.99. That same roll to Canada was $55! Lol. When I try to send the bigger roll for my hood the shipping was FREE but to Canada was significant as you can imagine adding significant cost to the hood now cheaper to have it done locally. It really seems like they're trying to rope me in to paying the additional shipping for more profit as shipping from twice the distance and size/weight of the parcel is less than half that price.

I have sent two emails to AUTO VINYL SOLOUTIONS asking why when I look at the price in the size selection is one, but upon checkout the cart lists it as more money... They will not answer that question either.

So I ask local shops if they will sell me some vinyl. The basic response is no as they won't make enough money but they would love to install it and be careful cutting with a razor on my hood.

Yes I'm aware of designs n signs but I'm having trouble paying over twice the price to have a pre cut piece that I have to line up perfect, basically pay one of these local delinquents to install it and ship it so now I'm in to triple or quadruple the price of taking a couple hours and doing it myself. Nothing against them or their work, their service has been excellent and I am in the process of working in bedside graphics. Though I must say 2 days after a quote I was given they posted a cheaper price on here for the exact same package but I'm confident they will honor this. They are quick to respond and welcoming to ideas or options. Thank you designs and signs.

I'm running low on options. Next step is going to the dollar store and buying all the stickers they have and covering my hood for a cool new look.

Rant paused but I don't feel much better. Is it just me or do people not want my business these days?!

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just a comment on the CC process over the internet.

I run a small business that buys/sells and fixes phones, we have a firm policy of bill to/ship to have to be identical otherwise we cancel the transaction. Especially to Florida. Most of the CC fraud is centered in florida for some reason (easier to ship to south America?). And most businesses will not get refunded for fraud if the bill to/ship to are different.

just my .02 worth.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having had to ship to Canada I can tell you that almost all my shipments are to the USA and less than 20.00 so no problem I will send one to Canada... 85.00 in shipping later, 2 hours filling out forms... There is a reason I will not ship to Canada under any circumstance.. You feel cheated, and the poor guy is probably not trying to cheat you...
You seem to be spending a lot of time trying to cut costs... Your explanation of the local guy doing a deal, sounds more like he offered to do so cheap he really does not want to do it.. I mean how many people want to work for 20 to 30 hours for 100.00 profit.. Maybe stop and take a step back and realize how much time it takes to do a wrap... Then ask yourself if you can do a better job and how much per hour is your time worth?

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ducati and icecobra you certainly raise good points, I guess my issue is when I as the card owner call and authorize the transaction they make a rule to not do it lol. The response was "as of now we can not do it" meaning it's my fault if anyone wanted to do this in the future.

I try to ship to Florida because my truck is scheduled to go down the soon. Yes I'm trying to save a couple bucks because generally its about 35% more expensive here for anything.

I understand shipping cross border is more difficult but I do it all the time with no more paperwork or cost, I guess it could be different going the other way.

As for the 30-40 hours for $100, well I understand where you come from but I'm not looking for a free job but when I price the products as the same price why is labour several thousand more? It just seems like they want to price their way out of a job which is fine but I would much rather them just tell me they would rather not tackle a job this big.

It's just frustrating that a week ago they had no issues then 6 days later they make a new rule when I place an order without warning or consultation first. I certainly appreciate that they are looking out for the customer but they gave nothing but ignorant responses when I tried to clarify the issue, just now I'm wondering if the person behind the computer was having a bad day or figured I was still trying to commit fraud?

Oh well, I think I've found a local small town guy who wants to sell me the products. Unfortunately this is a small city feel where no one gives a damn about their car so the vinyl shops just want to make cool shocker stickers and "your mom inside" for all the nifty civics and sunfires around here.

You guys certainly may be right but it's the customer service portion that bothered me about the whole thing. If I want a wrap I have a minimum 13 hour drive lol.