What does Roush CAI, FM40 and resonator delete sound like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does a Raptor sound when you install a Roush CAI, a Flowmaster 40 muffler, and you remove the resonator?

2013 Ford Raptor with Roush CAI, Flowmaster 40 and resonator delete - YouTube

There is a bit of increase in internal resonance (aka "drone") but it doesn't bother me. YMMV. It does sound a little louder than with the resonator. Those are Ford Racing tailpipes from their cat back system someone sold me cheap (eBay) that I had plugged into the FM.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds great. The 40 will definitely drone more than many people tend to prefer, but with an exterior sound like that who cares!

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds great. The 40 will definitely drone more than many people tend to prefer, but with an exterior sound like that who cares!

Yes, I would agree with that. The internal resonance is definitely more noticeable. If someone is sensitive to that, I will put in a good word for the stock Ford resonator. It does it's job. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have removed it. The increase in internal resonance was not worth the very small increase in volume.

But, it looks good and sounds good. If I get tired of the drone, I'll probably swap the FM40 for a Magnaflow or some other brand of muffler, keep everything else the same. I like experimenting. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 93

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds wicked. I know people are happy with Magnaflow sans resonator. Don't know if I've seen anyone try an aftermarket resonator in place of the stock one. Maybe tune out the resonance but keep the sound.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I would agree with that. The internal resonance is definitely more noticeable. If someone is sensitive to that, I will put in a good word for the stock Ford resonator. It does it's job. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have removed it. The increase in internal resonance was not worth the very small increase in volume.

But, it looks good and sounds good. If I get tired of the drone, I'll probably swap the FM40 for a Magnaflow or some other brand of muffler, keep everything else the same. I like experimenting. Any suggestions?

The Flowmaster being a chambered design will be prone to resonance because there isn't any sound deadening material within the muffler. It's basically hollow and redirects the exhaust gasses a number of times through channels and chambers to tune the sound. It creates a very smooth, but boomy tone.

The Magnaflow Universal mufflers will definitely produce less drone due to their straight through design. Their design is simply a perforated core (pipe), wrapped tightly in steel wool and fiberglass acoustical fill, and packed inside the muffler case. It's a muffler in the truest sense of the word, it muffles the exhaust tone without altering it. Since there aren't any chambers or restrictions in the muffler, the freer flow alone will reduce vibration and resonance. The acoustical fill does its job to dampen any resonance in the exhaust system as well as reduce the sound level.

I like the Magnaflow options because they are basically endless. You can fine tune your sound and for us it's a completely predictable result in many cases. Selling exhaust and mufflers is difficult because of everyone's individual preferences and tolerance to drone. With a Magnaflow, the size and shape of the muffler will determine the final sound so we're able to point customers in the right direction. You have anything from their 4" round MAGNAPACK mufflers which will be aggressive and raspy, up to their truck/SUV mufflers which are the size of a kitchen trash can and will be whisper quiet.

If you enjoy the "Flowmaster Sound", you could also look at their larger offerings like the Super 50 or the 50 Series Delta Flow. Each will be noticeably quieter than the 40 series, both inside and out.

Sorry you asked? :signs8:

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thanks for the background. I am thinking I may be more of a Magnaflow guy. Won't know for sure until I try it. Is there a Magnaflow muffler that can be put in place of this FM? One inlet, two outlets? I'm trying to minimize the complexity of the install if possible. I guess I'm wondering is there a similar size/shape Magnaflow version that could be a straight swap?

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thanks for the background. I am thinking I may be more of a Magnaflow guy. Won't know for sure until I try it. Is there a Magnaflow muffler that can be put in place of this FM? One inlet, two outlets? I'm trying to minimize the complexity of the install if possible. I guess I'm wondering is there a similar size/shape Magnaflow version that could be a straight swap?

Yes, we can get close. If I'm not mistaken the Flowmaster 40 is 19" overall length. There are several Magnaflow options 3" IN dual 2.5" around that length. We can fine tune the sound with the diameter of the muffler.