Upgrading wheels and tires on Gen 3 37 Package: Wheel/tire weight considerations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hpschrank

Reaction score
As noted I have Gen 3 with 37 package. I am looking to upgrade wheels and tires.

1. How important is it that I keep close to OEM wheel and tire weight (99 libs I believe on the 37 package) when upgrading? I'm looking at the Venomrex 601 or 603 20" rim (12 mm offset)...... not sure about the tires as it seems that 37" tires vary in weight from 65lbs up to 85lbs +/-. Thats a big jump from OEM if I have my numbers close here.

2. Assuming I went with a heavier tire (Nitto Grapplers Ridge or Trail or a Toyo in similar make) is this going to cause problems with the ride, stability, reliability of the truck by adding all this weight?

3. What else am I missing here as I consider this change?

Hate to spend this kind of money on wheels and tires and discover that the ride etc is significantly compromised.

Seems the Ford Enginners spent a lot of time getting all the 37 package changes really refined in such a big truck.

Thank you for everyones thoughts on this...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What’s your use case?

If you primarily rock crawl, you’re going to want a solid, aggressive tire - queue @John M for recommendations ;-)

If you’re desert bombing, yes, tire & wheel weight combo will be important to not screw up the handling too bad. There are some decent lightweight wheels out there which can partially offset some heavier tires. Motegi trail-lites are a full 14 pounds per wheel lighter than factory bead lock wheels. Just sayin’

If you’re just concerned about on road manners and starbucks drive thru navigation, then the sky’s the limit.

Speeder757

Reaction score
As noted I have Gen 3 with 37 package. I am looking to upgrade wheels and tires.

1. How important is it that I keep close to OEM wheel and tire weight (99 libs I believe on the 37 package) when upgrading? I'm looking at the Venomrex 601 or 603 20" rim (12 mm offset)...... not sure about the tires as it seems that 37" tires vary in weight from 65lbs up to 85lbs +/-. Thats a big jump from OEM if I have my numbers close here.

2. Assuming I went with a heavier tire (Nitto Grapplers Ridge or Trail or a Toyo in similar make) is this going to cause problems with the ride, stability, reliability of the truck by adding all this weight?

3. What else am I missing here as I consider this change?

Hate to spend this kind of money on wheels and tires and discover that the ride etc is significantly compromised.

Seems the Ford Enginners spent a lot of time getting all the 37 package changes really refined in such a big truck.

Thank you for everyones thoughts on this...

I’d be interested in buying your rims if you are willing to sell. Thx

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off. welcome and enjoy that new truck. I would tell you to drive it for a few weeks first.

Dont think the 37 package is more capable than a 35 it isn't. It is the same truck save some very minor differences which are actually trade offs- 1/8 larger shock shaft but you lose an inch of travel and a supposed change in the frame-yet the 37 inch spare still fits under the 35. I have driven in both trucks and bought the 35 as I would rather spend the money myself on improving the truck for how I use it.

That said I am running stock 37s-ie BFG KO2 37s which are undersize vs Nittos on zero offset wheels with 1.5 inch front perch collars. Truck is level and I see no change in ride vs stock. My Gen 2 needed 2.25 collars and mid perch on Gen 1 was level...BTW, Ford said with the Gen 1 the entire platform was tested on mid perch yet interestingly didn't ship that way.

Unsprung weight is a huge deal as you seem to know-good news is Vennomex wheels are lighter than stock so that is a good thing. tires also are tradeoffs-acceleration, wet and snow performance and road handling will not be as great with Ridge Grapplers or as comfortable on road. You also have about 10 plus pounds per corner added to the truck-the 37 nitto may also not fit underneath. That said, if you are off-roading where that tire makes that big a difference than you are likely putting two in a rack in the back of the truck vs underneath so that shouldn't matter. That said you want 20s so not sure if you are planning to off-road as that would not be anyones choice for an off-road wheel size.

Enjoy the heck out of your truck-Raptors are awesome but spend some time with it, figure out how you are going to use and that way you spend your money the right way when/if you make mods to it. truck is really good out of the box.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya ya. It’s a Jeep link but lists most 37s out there by weight. They get heavy.....

ftbutler

Reaction score
A
First off. welcome and enjoy that new truck. I would tell you to drive it for a few weeks first.

Dont think the 37 package is more capable than a 35 it isn't. It is the same truck save some very minor differences which are actually trade offs- 1/8 larger shock shaft but you lose an inch of travel and a supposed change in the frame-yet the 37 inch spare still fits under the 35. I have driven in both trucks and bought the 35 as I would rather spend the money myself on improving the truck for how I use it.

That said I am running stock 37s-ie BFG KO2 37s which are undersize vs Nittos on zero offset wheels with 1.5 inch front perch collars. Truck is level and I see no change in ride vs stock. My Gen 2 needed 2.25 collars and mid perch on Gen 1 was level...BTW, Ford said with the Gen 1 the entire platform was tested on mid perch yet interestingly didn't ship that way.

Unsprung weight is a huge deal as you seem to know-good news is Vennomex wheels are lighter than stock so that is a good thing. tires also are tradeoffs-acceleration, wet and snow performance and road handling will not be as great with Ridge Grapplers or as comfortable on road. You also have about 10 plus pounds per corner added to the truck-the 37 nitto may also not fit underneath. That said, if you are off-roading where that tire makes that big a difference than you are likely putting two in a rack in the back of the truck vs underneath so that shouldn't matter. That said you want 20s so not sure if you are planning to off-road as that would not be anyones choice for an off-road wheel size.

Enjoy the heck out of your truck-Raptors are awesome but spend some time with it, figure out how you are going to use and that way you spend your money the right way when/if you make mods to it. truck is really good out of the box.
Are you saying that with new 37s, all you added was a 1.5 inch perch collar? There was no rubbing in the wheel well? What collar did you use? I’ve gotten conflicting information and I’d like to add 37s but I don’t want to change the driving characteristics. Thank you.

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A

Are you saying that with new 37s, all you added was a 1.5 inch perch collar? There was no rubbing in the wheel well? What collar did you use? I’ve gotten conflicting information and I’d like to add 37s but I don’t want to change the driving characteristics. Thank you.
yup just the 1.5 inch RPG perch collar-no trimming no rubbing no issues. Zero offset wheels. BFG 37s which are slightly undersize.

OP
OP
hpschrank

hpschrank

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice!! A lot to consider here. Really love the camaraderie on this forum!! There is so much BS out there in the world right now and it's refreshing to see everyone taking joy in their passion for an amazing vehicle and just helping each other!! Hat's off!!

OP
OP
hpschrank

hpschrank

Reaction score
I do have another question....this may sound crazy but here it goes....I have the Gen 3 w/ 37 PP. As posted, looking at wheels and tires. Definitely going with 20" wheels but thinking about going with 35's. Primarily so I can get in garage and maybe a little better gas MPG. Am I committing blasphemy here?! LOL.......Obviously already have a set of 17/37's so can always put those on when needed. Would I be creating any warranty issues or other unforeseen issues down the road by doing this? Some may ask....why the 37 PP if you wanted 35.....1. Believe it or not it's the only 1 they had at $5k over MSRP AND I wanted upgraded interior Recaro's etc.

Thoughts?.....don't hold back....Im a big boy!! LOL