Unofficial Snoball 2015 - the beast is Yeti to come

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deletedone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two in one winter seems like an interesting idea. DCNR limited the number of trucks but perhaps not how many times they go. Lol....
I think finding support trucks for a second run would be difficult.

This coming snoball will have 10 support trucks for a smaller number of participants.

Plus putting together the most desired winter raptor run in the world is no easy feat.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the difference between a support truck and a participant truck? Why are ten support trucks needed?

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have a lead truck and a chase truck. There are 4 groups that are lead through the various trails through the UP. For example, I am lead for Delta Group and kmandoske is my chase truck.

GLRE does a great job of listening to feedback, so this coming year there will be two trucks that will be over all support and address issues of they come up.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So speaking of the run, what tires seem to be best for this run?

There is a lot of discussion in the 2014 snoball II thread on tires. But that would be a lot of digging through BS. Lol....

I ran the Duratrack tire this past year and was quite pleased. I have used the Stock tires as well. They get the job done and do well for a stock tire.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like I may not get into a third SnoBall. First two were good.

Tires are a fun discussion. Ran stock the first year and they did fine. First year didn't have nearly as deep of snow as this year did. I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers this year. On the way there on mildly wet highway I managed to turn and get a great view of the ditch at speed. They are not good with snow/ice on road. At least not minimal amounts. However, in the really deep snow they were excellent. My truck was digging like a crazed yeti throwing huge chunks of snow everywhere. After the water crossing when we were running trails only 2 or 3 trucks had done I was very glad to have my MT tires. Each year people running Duratracs have raved about them. Only tires I know I wouldn't try would be Grabbers. They really only like dirt.

Deletedone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a lead truck and a chase truck. There are 4 groups that are lead through the various trails through the UP. For example, I am lead for Delta Group and kmandoske is my chase truck.

GLRE does a great job of listening to feedback, so this coming year there will be two trucks that will be over all support and address issues of they come up.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

So we can't have more events because there's not enough people willing to ride in the front or in the back? I'll take a support spot!

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Sounds like I may not get into a third SnoBall. First two were good.

Tires are a fun discussion. Ran stock the first year and they did fine. First year didn't have nearly as deep of snow as this year did. I ran Nitto Terra Grapplers this year. On the way there on mildly wet highway I managed to turn and get a great view of the ditch at speed. They are not good with snow/ice on road. At least not minimal amounts. However, in the really deep snow they were excellent. My truck was digging like a crazed yeti throwing huge chunks of snow everywhere. After the water crossing when we were running trails only 2 or 3 trucks had done I was very glad to have my MT tires. Each year people running Duratracs have raved about them. Only tires I know I wouldn't try would be Grabbers. They really only like dirt.

The Duratracs were not the reason we kissed your bumper :mwah: were blaming the waders Joe had on from the water crossing...lol

So we can't have more events because there's not enough people willing to ride in the front or in the back? I'll take a support spot!
Not as easy as you think Jrock. You need to be an experienced driver, properly equipped with recovery gear and first aid products, be excellent at communication, a leader, first aid certified, have knowledge of and help supervise vehicle recoverys, not to mention lead the group on the trail... Do you run the proper speed, are you prepared to come around a bend and react quickly to a hazard not only for yourself, but for the 14 trucks counting on you, do you have proper gps equipment that insures you don't get lost or for the chase that somewhere in the line someone didn't get off track. Also, do you want to go to the snoball and work. Most people haven't realized the last two years that the support vehicles were also paying participants. And it is work!

Not saying anything personal against you, but its not a job everyone is capable of. That's why support trucks are hand picked and not plentiful.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You forgot something RW. "I know how to drive a truck *******" That is a requirement for proper support trucks. Still probably my favorite radio quote.

The rear bumper bothered you guys a lot more than me. Hell I blew the top off that thing and bolted it back on way before that. One of these days I need to replace it anyway. Keeps getting moved down the list.