Ugh.....Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robbcwz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View media item 13820I wonder if the tolerances between the pan flange thickness and bolt sleeves in the pan are, in some cases, such that the bolt bottoms out on the metal sleeve just enough to prevent a full seal on the gasket and allows leakage?

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View media item 13820I wonder if the tolerances between the pan flange thickness and bolt sleeves in the pan are, in some cases, such that the bolt bottoms out on the metal sleeve just enough to prevent a full seal on the gasket and allows leakage?

Not impossible, but looking at your photo says that the sump also has guide holes for the pins on the gasket and pan to align. If the pan and block are not pristine clean when assembled, it will never seal. My input is that the factory assembly goons ***** up the initial install and the (even worse) dealer goons can't or don't clean and prepare it properly. If done right, that design seals great. The issue is the human factors are such that it is easy to ***** it up, so people being stupid ***** that they are, have a difficult time getting it right.

There are several techniques applied to engine assembly that reduces the parts count and the assembled weight. The engines area actually simpler and better, but the old school stupid ***** don't like new stuff so they try it to "old" way and ***** it up. Had a guy trash three sets of valves on a 2.3L because he was too stupid to replace the friction washers and bolt on the crank and timing pulleys like the engine manual said. He figured just tighten the shit out of it and it was good (WRONG). When MADE to do it right, all was well.

SexyAvalancheGrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the leak with the oil pan and had the dealer fix it. They used a new gasket, pan and silicone. I got the truck back this week. Hopefully it fixed the issue.

seano04

Reaction score
Had my truck at the dealer after about 5k miles. Replaced the plastic oil pan for a leaking flange. I have 15k miles now and it's leaking again. Back to the deal. What happens when the truck gets out of warranty? I really don't want to buy a new oil pan every other oil change because of this terrible design...

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my truck at the dealer after about 5k miles. Replaced the plastic oil pan for a leaking flange. I have 15k miles now and it's leaking again. Back to the deal. What happens when the truck gets out of warranty? I really don't want to buy a new oil pan every other oil change because of this terrible design...

You just need a better dealer shop/tech. It's not the "design" it's the goons on the tools.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
well... to be fair, the plastic pan has been abnormally represented in leak complaints and subsequently replaced with the metal pan in production changes. The issue is that trucks that came with plastic pans, will get warranty replacement plastic pans until Ford runs out of supplies of plastic pans. And also, some of these leaked from day one, some were leaking before the first oil change. If the factory with their highly trained line workers and fancy tools can’t assemble these without causing leaks, the chances of leaks are significantly higher from less well equipped dealer mechanics.

I’m sure some of the pans are leaking from talking chimps wielding wrenches, but the design appears to have been not robust enough on the plastic pans.

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got 'er back today. man that was 3 of the longest days of my life. new oil pan part # - HL3Z-6675-A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they put in a metal oil pan?

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they put in a metal oil pan?

Dealers are not replacing plastic pans with metal pans under warranty. Someone here had experience with this and dealer would have had to charge them for metal one. The swap to metal is fairly extensive.

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers are not replacing plastic pans with metal pans under warranty. Someone here had experience with this and dealer would have had to charge them for metal one. The swap to metal is fairly extensive.

How long are the plastic pans good for?