Truth behind tunes and hardware upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune can be upgraded to give more more more with an intercooler. Beyond that maybe it’s not often hot enough to have a real benefit if you don’t intend to change your map.
This is something I am considering doing to my Raptor just based upon the overall positive feedback and knowing it can only help and not hurt. When I initially spoke with GearHeads regarding my current tune, they had mentioned that the tune would need to be adjusted if I were to change to an aftermarket IC, it makes sense and it will allow you to get most out of your tune, keep us posted on your progress

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune can be upgraded to give more more more with an intercooler. Beyond that maybe it’s not often hot enough to have a real benefit if you don’t intend to change your map.
Not necessarily true. It lowers the intake manifold temperature at same load and the ECU will apply settings accordingly.
Depends on the car if you have benefits, on a previous car I had better fuel economics when I upgraded only the intercoolers.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Please note that depending on the tune itself, the ECU doesn't pull timing based on Charge(boosted) Air Cooler temp until it passes ~140 degF. If you're not running 140 higher temps, then the intercooler isn't going to do anything for you. I'm still running the OEM FMIC and occasionally I run the CAC temp up into the 150 degF range, but only while beating on it pretty hard, like WOT for 15-30 seconds at a time.

If you routinely run the CAC temps above 140, then an aftermarket FMIC will help keep the temps below 140. In this case, the FMIC indeed helps power output by the keeping the timing in the "sweet spot". YMMV

OP
OP
TallVol

TallVol

Reaction score
This is something I am considering doing to my Raptor just based upon the overall positive feedback and knowing it can only help and not hurt. When I initially spoke with GearHeads regarding my current tune, they had mentioned that the tune would need to be adjusted if I were to change to an aftermarket IC, it makes sense and it will allow you to get most out of your tune, keep us posted on your progress

Emailed MPT and essentially they said the cvf ic with their tunes would be beneficial, as well as a CAI.
Been watching my temps for the last week-ish, and i can get the charge temps up to 140 pretty easy with outside temps in mid-to-low 80s.
I went ahead and sprung for the CVF titan.
I'm on call all weekend, so probably gonna try to install Monday evening or Tuesday.
Should have my mpt tunes in Tuesday or Wednesday.
So I'll report back on temps I'm seeing with CVF IC without & with the tune.

Now I need to decide if a cai is really worth 300-800$ with a tune...
This forum is not good to my wallet

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emailed MPT and essentially they said the cvf ic with their tunes would be beneficial, as well as a CAI.
Been watching my temps for the last week-ish, and i can get the charge temps up to 140 pretty easy with outside temps in mid-to-low 80s.
I went ahead and sprung for the CVF titan.
I'm on call all weekend, so probably gonna try to install Monday evening or Tuesday.
Should have my mpt tunes in Tuesday or Wednesday.
So I'll report back on temps I'm seeing with CVF IC without & with the tune.

Now I need to decide if a cai is really worth 300-800$ with a tune...
This forum is not good to my wallet
I did a S&B CAI on my 2020 - elected not to do an IC (yet) - I am in Nashville and haven't seen high temps over the last few months. Even when towing my small travel trailer. I did put a 170degree thermostat in though. I have 3 MPT tunes that I may put one in over the weekend. Honestly haven't noticed much of a difference with or without the CAI but the stock airbox just seemed restrictive to me and the few hundred dollars for the kit + install seemed like it was worth it to me.

OP
OP
TallVol

TallVol

Reaction score
I did a S&B CAI on my 2020 - elected not to do an IC (yet) - I am in Nashville and haven't seen high temps over the last few months. Even when towing my small travel trailer. I did put a 170degree thermostat in though. I have 3 MPT tunes that I may put one in over the weekend. Honestly haven't noticed much of a difference with or without the CAI but the stock airbox just seemed restrictive to me and the few hundred dollars for the kit + install seemed like it was worth it to me.

The s&b ram air and box looks like it would provide better air flow to the filter vs stock for sure. That's The one I'm looking at if I change it out.

With all my other upgrades in the last 2 weeks, I'm thinking I might wait a bit on this one. Might wait until spring, b/c I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The s&b ram air and box looks like it would provide better air flow to the filter vs stock for sure. That's The one I'm looking at if I change it out.

With all my other upgrades in the last 2 weeks, I'm thinking I might wait a bit on this one. Might wait until spring, b/c I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.
Feel you on that - it is just one of those things I do on every vehicle - right after tint. 20180524_075205.jpg 20200814_185423.jpg