Toyota Pickup Trucks Top J.D. Power Dependability Study

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats new... amazing after all these years that some reporters and magazines still think the *** vehicles are better than American. Its a mind set and nothing more, and the ratings used are a joke. Tell me a Toyota truck is better built than even a base line F150... not a chance. Amazing when Ford does side by side comps, with video, the Toyota looks like it's made out of cardboard. Whatever.....

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats new... amazing after all these years that some reporters and magazines still think the *** vehicles are better than American. Its a mind set and nothing more, and the ratings used are a joke. Tell me a Toyota truck is better built than even a base line F150... not a chance. Amazing when Ford does side by side comps, with video, the Toyota looks like it's made out of cardboard. Whatever.....

The Taco is a tough little truck but the Tundra not so much.

sent from ...... I don't know where I am.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2007 Taco Double Cab with a body lift on it & 33's. Great "little" truck plenty of power, plenty capable off-road. Traded it in on the Raptor with 33,000 miles on it.

I don't know if you can compare apples to oranges. The F-150 is in a different class altogether and I personally have never owned an "American" made vehicle with more than 75,000 miles on it, so I cannot speak for the reliability of "American" vehicles. The biggest hit for "American" not related to reliability is resale IMO.

Anyways, reliability is relative, I can guarantee that my Toyota Landcruiser (if rolled back to 1991) will outlast any new Tacoma and virtually any other vehicle on the road. To date, with 242,*** miles it has not had an engine or trans rebuild or any major repairs.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
millions of American made vehicles have hundred of thousands of miles on them. The resale is again all based on the bull**** magazine hype. Bottom line, any vehicles pretty much can drive well into the 200-300K range... this is all about media perception, young car drivers who are to young to understand where all the engineering started, and who the big three were, and fall into this trap of *** is better bull-crap. I have a guy who is a loyal Lexus fan even after his IS300 has had it's trans and engine rebuilt, several recalls, and now brake issues. But yup, his Lexus is the best vehicles built.... ok then.. guess I am just an old guy from the motor city!

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
millions of American made vehicles have hundred of thousands of miles on them. The resale is again all based on the bull**** magazine hype. Bottom line, any vehicles pretty much can drive well into the 200-300K range... this is all about media perception, young car drivers who are to young to understand where all the engineering started, and who the big three were, and fall into this trap of *** is better bull-crap. I have a guy who is a loyal Lexus fan even after his IS300 has had it's trans and engine rebuilt, several recalls, and now brake issues. But yup, his Lexus is the best vehicles built.... ok then.. guess I am just an old guy from the motor city!

Don't get me wrong SNAKE I have no doubt that an American made vehicle can last, I have just never experienced it myself because I "used" to be young and the rule of thumb was if you owned an American made vehicle you sold it before it hit 100,000 miles. Now I'm "much older" at 39 and buy whatever vehicle suits my needs/wants American or import. But the problem I really have is that I rotate vehicles so quickly that I rarely ever get close to 100,000 miles on anything. I bought the Landcruiser with 175,000 miles on it 5 years ago (received all service records with it too). And even as it goes now it will take me about 15 years to hit 100,000 miles on the Raptor and I honestly don't know if I will have it that long. So really, for me, I guess it is a moot point.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are spot on, I am 50 and have the same issue, I love cars and trucks and NEVER keep them longer than a couple years each. Not because of quality, just that I get bored and want the next big deal. However, I have friends who own cars and trucks with 100-200K + on them, so long as you do normal maintenance I think ANY car or truck built these days will can out live the owner!

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that in the 1970's Detroit did not produce the best vehicles. And that legacy keeps hanging on. This isnt to say the Japanese cars were perfect. I had a 1977 Toyota rust - and I lived in CA!!. Nowadays, I would put any American car up against anyone else- including the Europeans.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that in the 1970's Detroit did not produce the best vehicles. And that legacy keeps hanging on. This isnt to say the Japanese cars were perfect. I had a 1977 Toyota rust - and I lived in CA!!. Nowadays, I would put any American car up against anyone else- including the Europeans.

Agree... I lived the 70's in Detroit, don't forget that was also the oil embargo days, all cars during that time were crap for the most part, and the *** cars did well because they were CHEAP and get good better gas with the 4 bangers... all said, I do not recall a time when the *** cars were superior over the American cars, just perception and timing and that indeed held on longer than it needed to. Glad Ford is tops, and as of today, still the more aggressive and best improved of all.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
340x.png