6.2 SW Headers and goodies!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sprocket73

Reaction score
Help Please

Hey guys, new here and need some help. I just had my Stainlessworks long tube headers and lightning style exhaust installed yesterday. The truck is disgustingly loud but I don't mind that part. What I mind is the drone!!! I measured with a db meter at 1900rpms 81db. It gives you a headache in about 5 min. I called SW today and was told that I would need to buy an entirely new exhaust section that had two mufflers instead on the one. I asked if they could modify the one I just paid 1k for, I was told no I would need to buy another system. Does anyone have a simple fix thats not going to cost me another grand?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and need some help. I just had my Stainlessworks long tube headers and lightning style exhaust installed yesterday. The truck is disgustingly loud but I don't mind that part. What I mind is the drone!!! I measured with a db meter at 1900rpms 81db. It gives you a headache in about 5 min. I called SW today and was told that I would need to buy an entirely new exhaust section that had two mufflers instead on the one. I asked if they could modify the one I just paid 1k for, I was told no I would need to buy another system. Does anyone have a simple fix thats not going to cost me another grand?

Sorry BUT changing to dual mufflers did nothing for me, it only made it louder.
I had SW headers into the stock exhaust and it droned not super loud but it did.
The drone comes from the headers and the aftermarket mufflers just amplify it.
I had measured my db and it was at 82 before I did my latest set up.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/ironmans-exhaust-build-27945/?highlight=IRONMAN's+exhaust+build

I'll be trying some other stuff later in the summer.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had full SW system on my first 5.4L Raptor and the drone was terrible! I installed 3in motorcycle baffles in both pipes and added resonator tips made it tolerable but still annoying. Whats the point of having headers and then adding a baffle and tips like I did to restrict it more?
I was very disappointed that I couldnt drive my truck on a trip without drone bugging me.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna throw headers on a truck yet you dont like loud dronny exhausts then just dont get Long tubes at all lol. Even with cats its gonna be loud and its gonna have drone. Its like saying you want to go to a concert but then asking the audio crew to turn it down a bit......You can stack resonators and mufflers all you want to quiet it down but then your just being counter productive. those headers want to breath so let em. your best bet to get as lil drone is possible is to run your tips as far back like stock and out the side or straight back. Let all that sound escape from your truck and not get reverberated all up underneath it causing the drone. You could always go pay and have your enitre truck dynomatted it might help .

At the end of the day its a baja truck with long tube headers....do you sit or stand when you take a ****? enjoy the symphony or just dont go at all cuz there will be music and it will be loud lol. Personally i love the sound of my SW LTs, Offroad Y-pipe, and 3.0 back to a single flowmaster 40 muffler dumped right infront of the rear axle........nothin but raw un-restricted 6.2 baby!

this just goes out to everyone who gets headers on any car then complains about the drone/loud sound.......im not tryin to bash on anyone im just expressing my honest opinion.

Last edited:

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna throw headers on a truck yet you dont like loud dronny exhausts then just dont get Long tubes at all lol. Even with cats its gonna be loud and its gonna have drone. Its like saying you want to go to a concert but then asking the audio crew to turn it down a bit......You can stack resonators and mufflers all you want to quiet it down but then your just being counter productive. those headers want to breath so let em. your best bet to get as lil drone is possible is to run your tips as far back like stock and out the side or straight back. Let all that sound escape from your truck and not get reverberated all up underneath it causing the drone. You could always go pay and have your enitre truck dynomatted it might help .

At the end of the day its a baja truck with long tube headers....do you sit or stand when you take a ****? enjoy the symphony or just dont go at all cuz there will be music and it will be loud lol. Personally i love the sound of my SW LTs, Offroad Y-pipe, and 3.0 back to a single flowmaster 40 muffler dumped right infront of the rear axle........nothin but raw un-restricted 6.2 baby!

this just goes out to everyone who gets headers on any car then complains about the drone/loud sound.......im not tryin to bash on anyone im just expressing my honest opinion.

:worship: :headbang: X2!!!!!

I love my long tubes and stright pipe dumped!!

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
X3 but I have no drone becose I did move my tips out all the way from under the truck. yes it's loud just the way I like it but loud is not drone... I have LT headers X pipe cat delete S-type mufflers and they said I'd would not like it becose that would be way to loud. so I know they tell every one get the chambered but they also say the cambered is still louder than stock. The best advice is get the exhaust out from under the truck. Or maybe try putting your stock cat back back on and selling the lightning lot of ppl want that style.

mikepipe597

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jordon,

I see your truck all the time in town. Any way I could meet up with you some day and hear this beast first hand.

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
pwjstruebig

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya we can meet up any time! I'm leaving for Snoball on friday at 7AM... There has been a blow up of Raptor numbers in the area haha I used to see maybe one or two in a week and the other day I saw 5 different trucks on a trip to the mall and back haha

send me a txt 219-306-2503

Jordon,

I see your truck all the time in town. Any way I could meet up with you some day and hear this beast first hand.

Thanks,
Mike

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 but I have no drone becose I did move my tips out all the way from under the truck. yes it's loud just the way I like it but loud is not drone... I have LT headers X pipe cat delete S-type mufflers and they said I'd would not like it becose that would be way to loud. so I know they tell every one get the chambered but they also say the cambered is still louder than stock. The best advice is get the exhaust out from under the truck. Or maybe try putting your stock cat back back on and selling the lightning lot of ppl want that style.

I have kooks with high flow cats and tig welded magnaflow turn down tip
really loud hardly any drone- nabors ******* hate me at 6:30am....