Sunroof Delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the issues people seem to have with the sunroof, has anyone thought about just removing it completely and replacing it with a steel/aluminum sheet? Obviously there'd be some sheet metal fab work and some drilling into the roof, but i was thinking an inner and outer skin plugging the hole which puts it in double sheer where it attaches to the roof skin. I haven't had any issues so i don't know what the internal structure looks like or how feasible this would be. Maybe it'll be tough to match the contour of the roof but to be able to eliminate the leaking issues, stuck track, drain tube, ect, maybe its worth the hassle. thoughts?

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason that I like sunroofs.....I'm tall and it gives me more headroom. Typically, when you buy a high-end vehicle, a sunroof is included in one of the luxury packages. I've opened mine maybe three times in three years, mainly for the benefits of the grandkids riding in the truck. I do like the fact that I never really have to spend time waxing the roof. :D

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The only reason that I like sunroofs.....I'm tall and it gives me more headroom. Typically, when you buy a high-end vehicle, a sunroof is included in one of the luxury packages. I've opened mine maybe three times in three years, mainly for the benefits of the grandkids riding in the truck. I do like the fact that I never really have to spend time waxing the roof. :D

The moonroof mechanism usually eats up 1-3 inches of “height” in the cabin, so you’re actually better off without a moonroof if you’re above 6’ in height.