GEN 2 Someone please tell me how to remove the tailgate torsion bar (permanently!!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going through these things like it’s nobody’s business. They’re just plain crap. Google “Ford F-150 tailgate popping sound” and you’ll see what I mean.
Honestly would just rather get rid of it altogether and install a Dee Zee hydraulic tailgate assist instead. I’ve had it before and it’s just so much better. Appreciate any help here guys. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortdeck

Reaction score
I watched a video from CJ Pony Parts the other day. It shows the factory Ford tailgate assist damper behind the passenger tail light. Pretty easy to verify that.

OP
OP
GM3SF

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvXFu1Eplyg

Yep under passenger tail light, how are you braking these?

I watched a video from CJ Pony Parts the other day. It shows the factory Ford tailgate assist damper behind the passenger tail light. Pretty easy to verify that.

Problem is that I have the factory tension rod that is inside the tailgate itself. Don’t think this is a part of that. If you google “Ford F150 popping sound tailgate” you’ll see what I mean. See plenty of people talk about replacing them but haven’t seen anyone mention how to eliminate it altogether.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? Ford is all about lighter weight in the GEN2s and they added this tailgate assist thing? I'm astounded.

NiceF150

Reaction score
I’m going through these things like it’s nobody’s business. They’re just plain crap. Google “Ford F-150 tailgate popping sound” and you’ll see what I mean.
Honestly would just rather get rid of it altogether and install a Dee Zee hydraulic tailgate assist instead. I’ve had it before and it’s just so much better. Appreciate any help here guys. Thanks.

There is a torsion rod running through the tailgate. On this torsion rod there are two rubber grommets that prevent the bar from touching the bottom of the tailgate. If they are in the wrong position you will hear the rod smacking the bottom of the tailgate right before it shuts. These gromets need to be slid further towards the outside edges of the rod. About 12” from the end of the rod on both sides. You need to remove the tailgate, loosen the two small bolts that clamp the rod in place on the passenger side and then slide the rod out of the tailgate. Reposition the grommets about 12 inches from either end of the torsion rod. Reassemble and you’re popping sound will disappear. It’s a pain in the butt but that is the true fix. I speak from experience.

On both ends of the tailgate there is an access hole where you can see through the entire tailgate. You can see the rod and the grommets. If you can rig something up to grab these grommets and help slide them down the rod you won’t need to disassemble anything. Lube up the rod, maybe try a coat hanger and bring lots of patience.

D638EDBA-D1FE-4821-A9B1-23047424A239.jpeg

There is a torsion rod running through the tailgate. On this torsion rod there are two rubber grommets that prevent the bar from touching the bottom of the tailgate. If they are in the wrong position you will hear the rod smacking the bottom of the tailgate right before it shuts. These gromets need to be slid further towards the outside edges of the rod. About 12” from the end of the rod on both sides. You need to remove the tailgate, loosen the two small bolts that clamp the rod in place on the passenger side and then slide the rod out of the tailgate. Reposition the grommets about 12 inches from either end of the torsion rod. Reassemble and you’re popping sound will disappear. It’s a pain in the butt but that is the true fix. I speak from experience.

On both ends of the tailgate there is an access hole where you can see through the entire tailgate. You can see the rod and the grommets. If you can rig something up to grab these grommets and help slide them down the rod you won’t need to disassemble anything. Lube up the rod, maybe try a coat hanger and bring lots of patience.

D638EDBA-D1FE-4821-A9B1-23047424A239.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: