Not very happy right now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisk2361

Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago, I had to drop the truck off at the dealer. The truck would not get in gear on a few occasion. Dealer told me I had some cam sensor failure. So they ordered the sensor and replaced it. A few days later, I go to step on the gas to pass someone, my turbo cuts out and kicks back in. Now, Im pretty pissed. I did another hard acceleration and sure enough, the truck doesnt engage and then kicks in. Take the truck back to the dealer last Thursday. The truck has no code so the dealer do not have any idea what to look at. Only good thing is that it happen to them while test driving so they know something is wrong. Next step is to email Ford company for advice. I will be lucky if I see my truck until next Friday. I will keep everyone posted.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? All stock? 91+ octane?

Sounds like maybe the wastegate solenoid might be stuck open and causing the truck not to make boost. Have them take a look at that, and also check the wiring harness near the turbos to make sure they weren't damaged due to heat.

OP
OP
C

chrisk2361

Reaction score
About 4000 miles on regular gas. Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to mention that.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 4000 miles on regular gas. Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to mention that.

Interesting and people keep bringing up the gas thing. It takes 87, if that's causing problems ford is about to shell out some serious cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly i am gonna agree with sasquatch. it is very possible that you are having a condensation issue. have them pull the ic and check for excessive fluid. in very humid / wet areas it is a know issue of the 3.5l eb. a weep hole or catch can seams to be the normal fix.

as far as the fuel this is from the manuel. i prefer 91oct since it is as high as i can get.
Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sadly i am gonna agree with sasquatch. it is very possible that you are having a condensation issue. have them pull the ic and check for excessive fluid. in very humid / wet areas it is a know issue of the 3.5l eb. a weep hole or catch can seams to be the normal fix.

A catch can doesn't help with condensation in the intercooler.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

as far as the fuel this is from the manuel. i prefer 91oct since it is as high as i can get.
Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

Def agree here I'm just saying if the fuel octane causes issues in a factory truck, ford is shelling out.

OP
OP
C

chrisk2361

Reaction score
Hopefully, i will hear from dealer tomorrow. I don't think it is misfire. Then again, i wouldn't know what a misfire feels like anyway. It usually happens when im rolling along at 40mph, then go to step on the gas. The truck accelerate, turbo pressure gauge goes up for a few seconds, the just shuts down. Then it kicks in and accelerate again.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Def agree here I'm just saying if the fuel octane causes issues in a factory truck, ford is shelling out.

Nah. Ford's not going to pay you anything. Ford said it can run on 87 and it can, especially in cold weather at light throttle. Ford never said it recommends 87 or that the truck would run well on it. The owners manual very clearly recommends 91 octane or better for the best performance.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would buy an $80k truck with a 20psi turbo motor and try to run low quality fuel. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a nice truck. Put good fuel in it.