New to the forum and planning on being a new owner soon...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHanly83

Reaction score
I have been enthralled with raptors sense the beginning. Owning mustang gts and having friends with cobras it wasn’t much of a leap to want a raptor. Also being an hour from Pismo dunes and having a lot of friends that had a love/ hate relationship with gravity and 2 wheels it was a natural desire to own a raptor. Fast forward 10 years, I no longer live near the dunes but find myself starting a new job making really really good money and needing a truck that can handle off-road! I have told my wife for years that I have wanted one but the answer is always that I don’t “need” one. So I bought a 18 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now that I “need” a truck and my wife will be enjoying my newish Jeep, I have been given the go ahead to buy what I want. So now I need to decide (more like find) the color I want. It has to be a fully loaded, supercrew, with recaros and leaning towards the beadlocks. Could care less which stereo it comes with, I’ll gut it and start over anyways.
Color starting with most wanted: (this truck will be dirty and used but it’s $70,000++ I don’t want a horrendous eyesore)
  • Leadfoot- I have always loved this color but I have heard you really need to have be careful about swirling. Also read that it’s recommended for color correction, protective coated and clear film in high impact areas. I have only found 1 2020 within 500 miles with all options, I live in southern Wisconsin. This color for what I can find is going to be the most expensive of my choices, is it worth it?
  • Magnetic- If I cant find a Leadfoot at the time of purchase. I have found 1 2020 same dealership as the Leadfoot. I am assuming has same problems as Leadfoot.
  • One of the blues- honestly not sold on it, it’s a gorgeous looking truck in blue but wanting blue recaros with blue exterior... you get the point. One good thing about the blue is Subaru has already proved blue with goldish rims looks pretty damn good. I like the method rims in burnt bronze. No clue about maintenance, any help would be appreciated (protective coating, etc). Found a metric shit ton of these 2019 and 2020 with all options I want.
  • White- Always love white with dark rims and tinted windows! Well white is white, quite boring but timeless! It also takes a damn good beating. Found a few of these in 2019 and 2020s. I think it would be a flip of the coin between white and blue.
  • Ingot Silver- It’s an option, I might show up at the dealership and have a love at first sight moment...

Dealership recommendations in my area? The ones I have found seem to be $5000 to $6000 off 2020s and $10,000 or so off of 2019s. From I have been reading there is no difference between the 2019s and the 2020s besides the markdowns and the dates. The dealership that I have found my top color choices is Fairway Ford out of Ohio. Anyone have any dealings with them?

For upgrades that will happen before pickup or shortly afterwards.

• Stereo- JL or Focal speakers, JL 13.5 sub (can anyone chime in on if 1 or 2 would be better), MTI box, JL 5 channel amp and sound deadening etc etc. Did I miss anything? Also CPlayAir and a wireless charge pad.
  • Roush PAC level 1 with either Borla S-type or ATAK system or Roush PAC level 2? **Please people chime in with recommendations!** I am not looking for obnoxious but when I put my foot in it I want to hear 450+ horsepower!
  • Lights- Fog lamp 3 pack, at least one bar in the grill and backup lights.
  • Tint- probably 20% on the shield with brow strip, 15% on front windows and 5% on the rest. Maybe 5% on everything besides the windshield.
  • Spray in bed liner, WeatherTech or Husky liners and leaning towards Diamond Back bed cover.
  • Paint protection- I have done Zylon on my last 2 vehicles, never needed it but it was comforting to have. Any other suggestions?
  • Most importantly Orvis Dog hammock, Gun safe in armrest and quick open kit for backseat to put a long Gun back there.
Upgrades down the road.
  • lots and lots of stuff that will void my warranty and that my lovely wife will never know about!
Thanks in advance for any help now and in the future.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

In no particular order.
Great stereo plan, I like the MTI and JL solution.

Leadfoot is the slowest of Raptors, so just know that all other color Raptors will be faster.
Don’t go overboard on exhaust, AWE exhausts do the least harm to the exh. note.
plenty of supporting vendors here will help you out with lights. Don’t skimp, buy once, cry once (but for a really long time)

OP
OP
CHanly83

CHanly83

Reaction score
Thanks @smurfslayer. The more time I spend on here the more I see the forum as a large family. Some people help and some people bitch but at the end we all have a common goal, a rather expensive rather large toy. Going to look at some vehicles tomorrow

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, I don't know whether to bitch about your wife stopping you all these years from getting a Raptor or be jealous. My wife of 40+ years has always said to me "honey, get whatever you want." Maybe that's why I'm always broke. lol.

Don't listen to @smurfslayer. lol. He thinks leadfoot is primer. Hah.

With the market being what it is, if I were you, I think you have a few options. One, don't care so much about color, unless you hate it. Two, don't be so concerned about the Recaros. I've owned four Raptors, 3 Gen2s and now my Gen3. In 2017 when the Gen2 came out, I hated the seat cushion. I'm spoiled with Porsche seats, and some BMW where the thigh support is extendable. The seat cushion on the 17 (not Recaro) was too short. And I'm only barely 6', 34 inseam.

I then traded for a 2019 with Recaros and the cushion was almost an inch longer. But I never liked the faux suede or the blue. And the regular seats from 2018 on are just as comfortable as the Recaros. Out of my four, two have had the Recaros. I don't miss them at all. My wife's 2021 Cayenne GTS has upgraded 14-way seats, way more adjustment than the Raptor, and I much prefer the Raptor seats.

I finally got white exterior, what I always wanted, shows the lines the best. Some say it's a work truck color. Eh, what do they know? lol.

Have you considered holding out to order new? Lots of people here who have bought used have had issues. If you are set on used, make sure you do an extensive test drive, maybe get an independent mechanic put it on a lift and do a real good inspection.

One thins is for sure, the 137 million point inspection the dealer does is pure BS.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and be sure to keep your wife away from mine. lol.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats!

Don't listen to Gargamel, Lead Foot Grey is the FASTED color there is! Pic for reference...faaaaaaaast!

Stereo is a HUGE discussion that involves desires and a budget. I'd start a thread on that one when you're ready. JL is a great choice but there are MANY options. Believe a stock electrical system is around 2800 watts so knowing if you want to cut out upgrading electrical updrades and stay under that power level would be the first question I would ask. I dig the four 8" subs in the underseat enclosure but we'll get into that later.

C&C.PNG