Looking to get into a raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eacastano7

Reaction score
So long story short I have my 3 girl on the way and my procharger 2011 mustang (can't exactly fit 3 car seats in the back of a mustang) so I told my wife the only way I was trading in my mustang was for a raptor. Good news my mustang is paid for so I have a few options on the mustang, private sell, return it back to stock since I have most original parts n trade it in. The local dealership told me that they would like to see my mustang first so they can make me an offer, I know they are going to try to lowball me. I would really appreciate if u guys can help me out on some tips I. What r some good options and what should I be paying for a new raptor. Thanks in advance fellas

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd sell it privately and order one at invoice. If you can get one at invoice they're def gonna screw you on the trade.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lessons learned:

MSRP- Look around a few states for MSRP on a raptor. Its always good to get a pulse on the market. I paid +$10k over MSRP for one off the lot because I am an idiot.

Get a good loan. I don't know a lot about this subject, but just like you haggle the cost of the vehicle, haggle with the bank on the loan (how long, interest, down payment, etc.) I have a 7 year loan at $650/mo with $15k down. Cost me wayyy too much.

Trade in's- don't do it. Try to sell private. They gave me $5k or $6k for my $32k 2005 Colorado fully loaded with new BFG tires. Could have done a lot better elsewhere.

Nav system- Its great, but the speakers are not the best. If you plan on upgrading the audio you might want to rethink dishing out the extra $. I have a stock system with premium nav/audio and love the nav integration, but could have used some better speakers.

Aftermarket Upgrades- Good luck reselling the tires, wheels, factory lugs, fenders, leafs, suspension, sway bar, etc. after you dish out another $20k on upgrades owning a Raptor. Its a bit contagious. Don't talk to people on here, it gets expensive.

Driving/Bills- Be prepared to spend $200-$400/mo on 91 octane gas at 10.7MPG and not be able to fit in parking garages less than 7ft. This truck costs me about $1k/month after gas, registration ($550/yr right now in CA), insurance, car payment, etc.

Lawsuits- Don't offroad like an idiot. If you hurt or kill someone and you are at fault is not a good feeling. I had some close calls driving like a ******* on dirtroads in desert communities. Almost landed on a couple walking their dog going 60 over a blind dirt hill on a road, catching about 20 ft distance of air. Really made me rethink responsibility, peoples lives, and my offroad attitude in general. Also, if you get aftermarket tires, make sure they are DOT approved. Race tires are fun but can void insurance claims in an accident- or kill someone on bad weather roads.

The good- Its a sweet truck that is capable of going in remote places in luxury. Its more fun than my dirtbike and I think a bit safer as long as I am not going above 60mph offroad. I get compliments a lot on it but also get a bit snooty cause- sometimes I have to lose the attitude and remember its just a car the bank owns. The size of this truck is great to move stuff, go camping, offroad, etc. Really fits my lifestyle.

That's about all I can think of.

SVT N8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat. Selling my GT500 then buying a Raptor. I'm in no rush so I can sit on the Shelby until it sells. I don't feel like returning it to stock and I know the dealer would kill me if I traded it.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try to buy (generally order) at invoice!!! Yes you wait for several months but you save at least 4-5K. Sell the Stang privately.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f162/raptor-dealers-selling-near-invoice-18117/

I love the 801A package with all the goodies. No regrets at all spending the 4K for it.
Front and rear camera. Wasn't interested in all the other extras except the beadlocks.

The mileage is no worse than most big trucks/SUVs if you drive it "normal". I generally get 14-15 mpg all-around (in my SCAB). You can easily drive it harder and get much less or you can baby it and get better.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kawie is right on all points. Load that puppy up....Nav is great, but we are good with the speakers, and we love our sunroof, but it's more mechanical shit to break...also, we've gotten our money's work out of the Premium Care plan several times over. We rarely buy warranties of this kind, but in this case it has worked out in our favor bigtime, although, partly because we have a great dealer who is proactive about discovering and fixing stuff. Just got the truck back from the shop from having both upper control arms replaced because of some play in the upper ball joints. All in all, it's a stunning vehicle, you'll love it if the mpg isn't an issue....for us, when asked what kind of mileage it gets, we just say when it gets to 1/4 tank, we fill up again. Only use high-test on occasion, cost diff tends to wash out on the highway with the couple of smiles per gallon extra. We get 12-13 round town and 14ish on the highway...better than the 11 we were getting with our luxury SUV (Lexus LX)....and a whole lot more fun.