Death wobble ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 raptor screw cab with 37’s and 3inch rpg collar. When I go over 80mph on the the road the truck starts to wobble like crazy. The whole truck is wobbling left to right, it’s stops if I slow down gradually. I had a 2017 with the same setup but never did this. Anyone having the same issue ?

D

Deleted member 12951

Same setup perhaps but are they same tires? Same PSI? Road Force balanced?

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you running for rims? If they are aftermarket, they aren't hub centric, but bolt centric which isn't good enough. check out www.chiefmachining.com. My 35's were perfectly balanced, but slightly out of whack everytime I torqued down my methods, got the caps, instant fix.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 raptor screw cab with 37’s and 3inch rpg collar. When I go over 80mph on the the road the truck starts to wobble like crazy. The whole truck is wobbling left to right, it’s stops if I slow down gradually. I had a 2017 with the same setup but never did this. Anyone having the same issue ?

Have you had your alignment checked? Might want to have it looked over. Anytime you change the geometry of the suspension you want to have it re aligned.

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different tires, I was running them at 55 psi and aired down to 30 to see any difference but it does the same. I have nitro ridge grapplers. Alignment is perfect. I have 17inch methods, which are same as my last truck.

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Road Force Balancing is the first thing I’d check. Just a normal tire balancing won’t do on these larger tires. You need a simulated pressure of the tire being on the road. The symptom of it oscillating at a higher speed seems to fit.

It’s not really “death wobble”. That’s something that only occurs on vehicles with a solid front axle and is usually caused by poor suspension geometry. But I can get why you’d call it that. ;)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it sounds like one or more of the tires/wheels is out of round. Have you had the wheels checked for run out? Before changing or modifying anything with balance, alignment etc., try moving one, and ONLY one front tire to the rear, retest. If no improvement, move the 2nd front to the rear and retest.

If you improve this condition by moving either front tire, you’ve at least narrowed down the potential causes.

Also, can we drill down on
I had a 2017 with the same setup but never did this.

is there -anything- different between the 2 trucks? Particularly, anything aerodynamically that might be contributing.