Ceramic Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did 20% on side windows and I believe 35 on back window for better visibility. It would be nice to have an option between 20 and 5 to help even out the side windows a little more. I am realizing as some others have that tinting the sunroof is going to be a necessity to fight the heat. From everything I have read and my tint installer, you can basically do a clear ceramic tint up top to kill the heat but NOT lose the visibility- especially at night.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 70% windshield and 20% all around on my Mercedes and it was perfect. A little dark at night if there were no street lights, but doable.
I ran 54% windshield and 15% front sides (rear and rear sides were done by the dealer) on my Gen 1 Raptor and it was too dark at night. I had issues seeing when there were no street lights.

Always ceramic. I was told it was the best against heat and I was always happy with it.

Raptor50

Reaction score
I did 20% ceramic over the factory tint on the rears and 33% on the driver/pass front. I also did 80% ceramic on the roof panels for the Texas heat. My truck is dark enough during the day and you cannot see what is in the back area from the outside. You can see through the 33% when looking at certain angles, but it is fine driving at night. As others have said, going with 5% will probably work during the day, but you will not be able to see behind you at night. (I had this on a previous truck in my younger days)

Also, if you skip the rears and moon roof, you will not get the full benefit of the ceramic during the hot summer months. The cost to do them is not that much more in the grand scheme when you consider the truck is north of $65K for most of us.

So interesting discussion. I always assumed that one had to tint the entire car with ceramic, to get the ceramic benefits. However I've had a few shops tell me that once you get into the 20% range, as with the back and rear glass on the Trucks, then its not necessary to put ceramic over those windows. They suggested just tinting the front windows, ceramic of course, but no need to add a ceramic layer to the back glass, if its dark enough. I'm picking up my '20 shortly so I've been sorting through the tint options. Blocking the heat is important, I lived in NC previously and tinted the windshield on my last car to keep the heat out. Although I hate how all the scratches on the windshield are now more visible...

OP
OP
Miggy

Miggy

Reaction score
I ended up going with 30% over the stock tint on the rears and 50% on the front sides because I’m in CA and don’t feel like grabbing a cops attention. Most don’t care but I just don’t want to deal with unwanted attention.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did Ceramic all around 50% windshield 35% sunroof 20% back and 5% front doors and it all matches perfect.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Ceramic all around 50% windshield 35% sunroof 20% back and 5% front doors and it all matches perfect.

Might have to redo the two fronts then with 5%. Are your two fronts the same as the 2 rear door windows as far as light transmission from the outside looking through?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tint guy here in New York recommended to not do the roof as a few had shattered the glass from the tint ?

Correct, which is why my tinter recommended 80% ceramic on the moon roof as it it basically clear. The breaking glass was due to the darkness of the tint from what he told me.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So interesting discussion. I always assumed that one had to tint the entire car with ceramic, to get the ceramic benefits. However I've had a few shops tell me that once you get into the 20% range, as with the back and rear glass on the Trucks, then its not necessary to put ceramic over those windows. They suggested just tinting the front windows, ceramic of course, but no need to add a ceramic layer to the back glass, if its dark enough. I'm picking up my '20 shortly so I've been sorting through the tint options. Blocking the heat is important, I lived in NC previously and tinted the windshield on my last car to keep the heat out. Although I hate how all the scratches on the windshield are now more visible...

The factory rear is simply dark colored glass with none of the ceramic properties, so it stands to reason you will want to put something over it to keep out the heat. If you want to keep the darkness the same, you can do an 80% ceramic on the back, as was recommended for my moon roofs.

I prefer my rear glass to be dark to the point that you cannot see into the rear seat area during the day, so I like 20% over the factory color. I feel the bad guys are less likely to do a smash and grab when they do not know what I am carrying.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6507FDEA-B35D-4319-B7CC-EEB24B8E41A3.jpeg 95AC14DF-FC2E-408D-8E92-D6C6C20718A7.jpeg D06BE466-92DB-4E1C-A089-BD8EBFAE5F4A.jpeg
Might have to redo the two fronts then with 5%. Are your two fronts the same as the 2 rear door windows as far as light transmission from the outside looking through?

I just walked out and took a look. The front is slightly lighter then the back, at 10ft back you can hardly tell. 1 ft you can tell the back is darker. Also my tint guys said no darker then 35% on the sunroof or it would crack.