3rd brake light camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weakssauce

Reaction score
Is there a way to add a 3rd brake light camera like the super duties or the gen 3's?
I want to add a camera and switch to it when my tailgate is down. A button in the screen would be ideal but im ok with a physical source selector.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a 3rd brake light camera like the super duties or the gen 3's?
I want to add a camera and switch to it when my tailgate is down. A button in the screen would be ideal but im ok with a physical source selector.
Youd probably need a new head unit but im sure a reputable place can make it happen but it wont function like stock.

OP
OP
W

weakssauce

Reaction score
why would i need a new head unit when the function is available in the superduty with the same 8" display the gen 2 has?

and if its not possible for whatever reason i figured tapping into the tailgate signal with a physical source switcher would be pretty simple. was hoping someone already sold a kit so i didnt have to source parts from aliexpress lol

OP
OP
W

weakssauce

Reaction score
Incase anyone is interested i found this.
Im going to find the video feed wire for the reverse camera and wire it to a relay on the NC connection then this camera on the NO side. Then control the relay with one of the upfitter switches.
In theory this should allow me to switch the camera with the switch while reversing.
Ill post a update when i get it installed.

They also sell one thats ready to go but its too expensive for what it is and i rather wire it to the existing switches.

kalel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incase anyone is interested i found this.
Im going to find the video feed wire for the reverse camera and wire it to a relay on the NC connection then this camera on the NO side. Then control the relay with one of the upfitter switches.
In theory this should allow me to switch the camera with the switch while reversing.
Ill post a update when i get it installed.

They also sell one thats ready to go but its too expensive for what it is and i rather wire it to the existing switches.
I was just looking itno this because Morimoto is having a sale and they have a nice looking brake light with camera.

I'm sure you could figure it out but with the camera feed integrated to the head unit, if you splice the feed how does the unit know which camera to use? How will it split the views?

OP
OP
W

weakssauce

Reaction score
I was just looking itno this because Morimoto is having a sale and they have a nice looking brake light with camera.

I'm sure you could figure it out but with the camera feed integrated to the head unit, if you splice the feed how does the unit know which camera to use? How will it split the views?
thats what the relay is for. it will act as a switch so when i flip the switch it will go one feed to another. the head unit will just display whatever is fed to it.

that brake light looks awesome though! i think ima go with that instead...

Last edited:

kalel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what the relay is for. it will act as a switch so when i flip the switch it will go one feed to another. the head unit will just display whatever is fed to it.

that brake light looks awesome though! i think ima go with that instead...
Definitely write it up once you get it working! I reached out to Morimoto and they told me to order the one without camera for now. If you get this working I'll probably follow suit. Good luck!

masterwacker

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Morimoto “w/ camera” does not come with a camera. you use the factory camera as the light just accommodates it. Have seen it in person and the install instructions call it out too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter